PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JUst Got LT's installed now. Severe Driveabiliyt issues. Can I fix with my HPTuners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JUst Got LT's installed now. Severe Driveabiliyt issues. Can I fix with my HPTuners?

Hey guys. I Just got my LT's installed last week. I love the way she sounds but when I put the clutch in the RPMs wanna drop real low. Sometimes She Stalls. When I first start her she wants to stall and cut out. The tach will bounce and bounce when I first start her. If I'm cruising on the highay and I take her out of gear and coast she'll wanna stall. Kinda like the first time I got the cam installed a few years back.

I NEED HP TUNERS INFO PLEASE NOT Trouble shooting mechanical issues on car. Please advice on How to tune daily driving in HP tuners. Thanks everyone

Last edited by D3IMOS; 02-08-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

so all you did was change out to a different set of LTs??? do you have any comparisons to what your car was running like before (tune-wise). How do you fuel trims look? If they are way out of whack it may be O2 problems
Old 02-07-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by txhorns281
so all you did was change out to a different set of LTs??? do you have any comparisons to what your car was running like before (tune-wise). How do you fuel trims look? If they are way out of whack it may be O2 problems
I had a hand ported MAF descreened that was all fried from N20 before. I replaced it with a ACDELCO Stock replacement. So my Ltrims are great now. usually -2 and so forth.

With mild or full clutch work. Like tryin to ease out she wants to stall or pushing it in all the way she'll drop to like 200-300 rpms andsometimes barely bounce back.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
I had a hand ported MAF descreened that was all fried from N20 before. I replaced it with a ACDELCO Stock replacement. So my Ltrims are great now. usually -2 and so forth.

With mild or full clutch work. Like tryin to ease out she wants to stall or pushing it in all the way she'll drop to like 200-300 rpms andsometimes barely bounce back.
Is it a choppy drop or more like an idle surge? Generally at idle O2s can be pretty lazy and disrupt idle, light throttle fueling, but if you had LTs before, not really sure why it would make a difference... Mechanically everything is in order right? No vaccuum/exhaust leaks, etc?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is it a choppy drop or more like an idle surge? Generally at idle O2s can be pretty lazy and disrupt idle, light throttle fueling, but if you had LTs before, not really sure why it would make a difference... Mechanically everything is in order right? No vaccuum/exhaust leaks, etc?
The car was upgraded from Exhaust Manifolds with an X pipe ot Lt's with an Xpipe.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car was upgraded from Exhaust Manifolds with an X pipe ot Lt's with an Xpipe.
hmmm... wish i could see a before and after log or something... Kinda hard to pinpoint one single thing..
Old 02-07-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmmm... wish i could see a before and after log or something... Kinda hard to pinpoint one single thing..
I do have before and after logs. Let me see if I can find some from my outbox If not I'll have to send em to ya tonight when I get home.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do have before and after logs. Let me see if I can find some from my outbox If not I'll have to send em to ya tonight when I get home.
good deal send me respective BINs too!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

good deal send me respective BINs too!
ok. How do I send em to ya. I'm still on the same bin. As I'm still learning Tuning. I don't know much yet. I'm still learning how to read the histograms and such. I understand the power enrich settings and such but since I don't have wideband yet I haven't messed with it.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok. How do I send em to ya. I'm still on the same bin. As I'm still learning Tuning. I don't know much yet. I'm still learning how to read the histograms and such. I understand the power enrich settings and such but since I don't have wideband yet I haven't messed with it.
well, zip up you BINs and the corresponding logs you have saved.

Ie: you should have maybe like a "BIN1" and a "BIN1 Log" to accompany it. You enter a tune, then you see what it did. I want that tune, and i want to see what it did.

If you have a before and after headers set of these, that would be super helpful! If you want to talk more tuning, hit me up on IM!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you happen to take off your coil packs when you installed the headers? if so....i'd double check the connection to the coil pack. sounds like you're runnin a four banger right now.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
did you happen to take off your coil packs when you installed the headers? if so....i'd double check the connection to the coil pack. sounds like you're runnin a four banger right now.
There is no way. She's pulling way to hard. Besides they were installed by RPM..
Old 02-07-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

um, ok. if it were my car, i'd check anyhow. there is no way your car should idle so badly w/just lt's being the difference unless there is a HUGE exhaust leak, a vacuum leak, or you're missing every 2 or 3 cycles on 3+ cylinders each time. or.....one of your coil pack connectors could be loose. check plugs and wires too. just cuz it was installed at a pro shop doesn't mean ****, everyone makes honest mistakes.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
um, ok. if it were my car, i'd check anyhow. there is no way your car should idle so badly w/just lt's being the difference unless there is a HUGE exhaust leak, a vacuum leak, or you're missing every 2 or 3 cycles on 3+ cylinders each time. or.....one of your coil pack connectors could be loose. check plugs and wires too. just cuz it was installed at a pro shop doesn't mean ****, everyone makes honest mistakes.
Wouldn't I be getting an SES light and my HP tunders would be showing errors on my DTC Screen..??
Old 02-08-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading awhile back that some companies the O2 bungs were too deep and were obstructing exhaust flow around the O2. I have no first hand knowledge of this, I'm just repeating what I read. Might be worth looking into.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kossuth
I remember reading awhile back that some companies the O2 bungs were too deep and were obstructing exhaust flow around the O2. I have no first hand knowledge of this, I'm just repeating what I read. Might be worth looking into.
Naa they're fine. As much as SLP is hated by everyone. They would have brought it up by now. Besides HP Tuners is reading them fine.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looked at your logs and I didn't see any place where your idle speed dips so I can't really tell you much about that... What is interesting is your timing drops hard kind of randomly and such... your O2s get a little lazy here and there but oscillate well... You went from running lean to rich after the headers though, and rich mixtures are a cause of idle surge and stuff... dunno dude... need more data specific to the problem
Old 02-08-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me too, but odds are it's not some mysterious fueling problem. The freer flowing exhaust just magnifies the overlap of the cam. I looked and my IAC's were really high so all I had to was crack the throttle body open a little more and let it relearn. So check your IAC counts.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by P Mack
This happened to me too, but odds are it's not some mysterious fueling problem. The freer flowing exhaust just magnifies the overlap of the cam. I looked and my IAC's were really high so all I had to was crack the throttle body open a little more and let it relearn. So check your IAC counts.
What is IAC and how do I check it?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably want to up the RPM a little while you are chasing
this and "Cadillac it down" after you find the handle.

Be triple sure you have not gone and burned a wire, that you
believe the O2 voltages and swing characteristics are proper.
Headers hurt this. You might bypass a whole round or two of
aggravation, if you just went and bought the 'Vette rear O2s
and put them on, now (especially if you are using crusty old
stockers plus extensions).

There will be some idle learning and you may want to lower
the temps where it is enabled. My idle bounces just from a
mild converter, when it's cold out. Check the degree of
cold enrichment you are getting, at your idle MAP reading,
in the Open Loop Fuel Air table. May be a bit piggy and this
can be a vicious circle (excessively fat depresses vacuum,
elevates idle MAP, and calls for more enrichment, etc.).