Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question I really could use some help

Hi all. I have read enough info to make my eyes bleed. And I need some help deciding on what software to go with. I have researched quite a bit, and now everything is mixed. I really could use advice/opinions on what is better for me, and what would be overkill. I am new to tuning, and this would be my first time tuning anything in a computer. I am ready to learn all I can though.

I need software that will:

-Fix the A/F ratio after headers and duals
-Allow me to tune for later mods-only mods I plan on in the next year or two are intake, TB, pulley, etc. I am holding off any internals for the next year or so at least.
-Capabilty of raising speed limiter is a plus, not necessary.
-Be able to turn my fans on at a lower temp.
-Something that I can monitor the engine parameters, and check/clear codes. Preferably all the different parameters, not just a handfull.
-And not too expensive .

I looked into:

Hptuners + wideband
MAFT + autotap
MAFT + a A/F gauge
Predator-not sure about it, as I dont know all its capabilities.
HPP3= junk
LS1edit- dont know much about it either

I have a palm pilot, so autotap is a possibilty. And I do have access to a laptop, just not 24/7. And I found a good deal on a MAFT.

I welcome everyone's advice and opinion. The best way to learn is not only do it, but ask the people that know.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on your inputs ...

LS1-Edit - It does not currently offer a scanner, they will in the near future.
MAFT + Gauge - it won't do what your are asking for.
MAFT + ATAP - I had this prior to HPTuners. All you can do is scan and clear codes. It was a ncie scanner, but that was all, you could not edit the VCM. Although you can use a palm pilot
Predator - It is a glorified HPP3, but with an option of custom tunes.
HPTuners - It can do everything you asked for, but since you are laptop limited that could be a problem. Although you can find capable laptops for under $250, I just sold my older laptop for $200 and I was running HPTuners on it. HPTuners might be offering a Palm Pilot or PDA, but it is in it's infancy so don't hold your breath.

Just get HPTuners and look on eBay for a laptop, that is my opinion ... heck that is how I started.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

MAFT + A/F Gauge = no ... the A/F gauge is basically a light show... you won't be able ot tell anything from it

MAFT + Autotap = feasible, but in the end all you have is a scanner and a *** to make it run slightly richer/leaner all the way across the board at WOT

Predator -- If you want a handheld I'd look into the Vinci unit, it's hte most capable handheld on the market now

HPP3 = yup, junk

LS1 Edit = just tuning software, and it's locked to your actual PCM (so very little resale... I haven't been able to sell mine in a year) ... beta scanner that's been beta for 4 months...

HP Tuners = Most powerful solution of all listed. You can get laptops pretty cheap now (used laptops , I'd shoot for 500-600 mhz... though it runs fine on my 333mhz laptop).

This is an integrated tuner and scanner package... The scanner was written for the intenet of tuning, so the charts and histograms and such are layed out for the purpose of using that data to dial the car in.

It also comes w/2 licenses so if you have a buddy you could split with him (Just keep in mind, it's 2 licenses but 1 cable, so you two would have to share that) ... the licensing scheme of HPT is such that , if you choose a 2000 F-Body license... you can tune ANY 2000-F-body ... in my case I have a 2002 F-Body license, and a 2004 Grand Prix license... so I can tune any 2002 F-Body and any 2004 Grand Prix. Plus this license isn't locked to your PCM so the cable maintains good resale

The EIO (wideband) feature of HP Tuners is nice because you get 4 inputs and 2 outputs... also when integrated w/a Wideband controller you have accurate WOT Air Fuel Ratios ... You can tune using the narrowband sensors but it's not as precise... part throttle tuning w/stock O2 sensors is fine... WOT is when you really want a wideband to ensure you're not running too lean
Old 02-16-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

HP tuners does sound like the best way to go. What is the 2 bar speed density? I know what speed density set-ups are, is that software to tune a SD set-up?

The one I need is $500. And that includes 2 vehicles licenses, on one cable..? So I could get someone else to buy in, that has a supported vehicle, but that mean sharing.

How user friendly is HPtuners, more specifically "noob" user friendly? Ill know what needs to be changed, but I wont have a clue where to start. Are there any other places of info you know, that can teach me how to tune?

Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming!
Old 02-16-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by psykoTA
http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

HP tuners does sound like the best way to go. What is the 2 bar speed density? I know what speed density set-ups are, is that software to tune a SD set-up?

The 2 and 3 bar are changes to the core GM OS to allow you to run a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor... used in forced induction situations. It is a software upgrade. The 1 bar Enhanced SD is another hack on the OS that provides additional items for 1 bar SD tuning. However the base HP Tuners will still allow you to tune Speed Density ... the 1 bar enhanced just adds extra functionality (like being able to maintain a high and low octane table whereas stock when you enter SD mode it drops to the low octane tables so you have to copy the high to the low)

The one I need is $500. And that includes 2 vehicles licenses, on one cable..? So I could get someone else to buy in, that has a supported vehicle, but that mean sharing.
Correct, you get licenses for 2 vehicle types (not vehicles, but types)... if you buy a 2000 license you can tune ANY 2000 car. If you can get a buddy to go in on it with you then you can split and share the cable , or if this option isn't viable (you'd have to share the cable for scanning as well) you can just pick another license for yourself... If you plan on doing a SD tune then a 2002 license may be good since the newer OS's only have a primary VE table whereas 2000 and previous have a secondary VE table that's not as easily tuned

How user friendly is HPtuners, more specifically "noob" user friendly? Ill know what needs to be changed, but I wont have a clue where to start. Are there any other places of info you know, that can teach me how to tune?

The interface is pretty simple, but that's not to say tuning is... Lots of good info on this forum and on the HPT forum. If you go under the product info page you can download the HPT manual and view that... it's a good read and explains all the various tables

Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming!

See my replies in bold
Old 02-16-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you Horist. Would you agree that the general concensus of this board votes for HPtuners? I ask, so that if I need help I can readily find someone knowledgeable.

Why would I do a SD tune? Its only for FI correct?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Thank you Horist. Would you agree that the general concensus of this board votes for HPtuners? I ask, so that if I need help I can readily find someone knowledgeable.

Why would I do a SD tune? Its only for FI correct?
I've at one time or another owned a MAFT, autotap, LS1 edit and HP Tuners, and HP Tuners is the best of them... it does it all in 1 product

SD tuning is handy for dialing in MAF tables (fix your VE table first then turn the MAF back on and scale the MAF table) , the enhanced stuff is primarily aimed at FI applications, but the 1 bar enhanced allows someone running an SD tune (example... you have a FAST 90mm intake and TB, they don't make 90mm MAFs) more options