Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPP3 vs mail order tune, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPP3 vs mail order tune, etc.

I've got a line on a used HPP3 for a pretty good price. My car is all stock 'cept for a lid and it will pretty much stay that way. I'd like to change the shifting characteristics mostly. Maybe other parameters if it would help.

From what I read, the mail order tunes, etc. seem to do the same things as the HPP3. Is the big difference the know how that goes into the tune? What if you get a mail order tune and don't like the parameters?

Like many others, I'm from the old school of carburetors and dual point distributors. This electronic stuff takes some studying.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just want to let you know....once you start modifying, you can't stop
Old 02-19-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HPP3 is only good for gear changes/tire changes and if an A4 shift point changes... the Power Programming is a joke... some cars like it , many do not...

It basically adds a bit of timing and leans the car out... which if you're already on the lean side is bad...

Many mail order tuners will make changes for free to stuff like rev limiter, shift points, etc...

Unless you can get an HPP3 for sub 100 bux (and yolu trust the person selling it... the HPP3 HAS to be for your year car and the original car has to be 100% HPP3 free... if not you have a paperweight)
Old 02-19-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with horist - if you saw what changes the HPP3 actually made to the timing table... you would laugh

Mail order would be better, and usually additional tunes will be free for awhile (less shipping), and then you pay only a fraction to get it reflashed after that.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think hpp3 changes about 10 timing cells, that may or may not even be affected by WOT.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by horist
... the HPP3 HAS to be for your year car and the original car has to be 100% HPP3 free... if not you have a paperweight)
Yeah, I forgot to ask about that. So the seller has to have put the stock tune back on the PCM for it to be of use?

So that leaves either mail order or a PC/laptop based reprogram. Right? I'd prefer to have the controls at my finger tips. What's the best bang for the buck in do it yourself reprogramming?

i just want to let you know....once you start modifying, you can't stop
I'm very suseptible to that curse. There are two grand results of it in my basement now. An 11 sec. Challenger and a 180 MPH Sportster.

I may do SFCs and of course a set of shiny rims. And when the original one hole rusts off, a dual exit muffler. This is my luxury liner. Cheaper than a new Harley and it seats four!
Old 02-20-2005, 04:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gwcrim
Yeah, I forgot to ask about that. So the seller has to have put the stock tune back on the PCM for it to be of use?

correct.. not just the HPP3 tuning but EVERYTHING ... gear changes etc...

So that leaves either mail order or a PC/laptop based reprogram. Right? I'd prefer to have the controls at my finger tips. What's the best bang for the buck in do it yourself reprogramming?

I've been using HP Tuners VCM Suite for almost a year now... on both my 2004 Grand Prix and my 2000 Trans Am am an VERY pleased with it... there are many posts here about it

I may do SFCs and of course a set of shiny rims. And when the original one hole rusts off, a dual exit muffler. This is my luxury liner. Cheaper than a new Harley and it seats four!
if you plan on racing the car get SFCs yesterday! I thought our stock exhaust was stainless steal??? Maybe not though..> I haven't run stock exhaust since 2 months after I bought the car heh
See reply in bold
Old 02-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

So if I'm understanding this HPP3 thing, on the fuel and spark curves, it only does one or more "preprogrammed" tunes and no custom ones?

On a car that's pretty much stock, does one really need to tweak things that far beyond stock?
Old 02-20-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

i dont see how people still go for hypertech with all other options out there. they suck
Old 02-20-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gwcrim
So if I'm understanding this HPP3 thing, on the fuel and spark curves, it only does one or more "preprogrammed" tunes and no custom ones?

On a car that's pretty much stock, does one really need to tweak things that far beyond stock?

correct, the HPP3 only offers 1 canned tune, no custom tuning of timing or fuel curves

On a stock, some pickup alot of power w/a good tune, others don't pick up anything...

Depending on how far into tuning you want to get, you may want to consider a full tuner package... since your car is relatively stock now there's not much to change... but as you add more mods you can learn how those mods affect the car and tune for those... (assuming you're willing to devote the time necessary to learn it)

Honestly though, w/the mods you have I wouldn't worry about a custom tune yet...