PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

handheld custom cam tuning

Old 02-20-2005, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question handheld custom cam tuning

are there any handheld programmers that are good for tuning the computer to a new cam or should i have someone tune it
Old 02-20-2005, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No hand helds, but programs that run on laptops. Myself I would learn it , depending on your patience level etc.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

the vinci handheld will tune for different cams. read this http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm
Old 02-20-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

for the price of a handheld you can add a little more and get some real tuning software and have much much much more versatility!
Old 02-20-2005, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

while i'll agree, you are assuming the person will already have a laptop. no laptop means more money needing to be spent. at least with the VHP handheld, most of the hard work is done for you. all you need to do is just play around with the fuel and timing some to dial in your setup.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Launching!

I have a laptop for a 100.00 bux. A dell pentium II. I sold the same model laptop to two friends of mine. Works fine. One uses tuner cat and the other hp tuners.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrr23
while i'll agree, you are assuming the person will already have a laptop. no laptop means more money needing to be spent. at least with the VHP handheld, most of the hard work is done for you. all you need to do is just play around with the fuel and timing some to dial in your setup.
the "hard work" is what's crucial here... there's no one formula to make a cammed car run good considering how many different types of cam setups there are nowadays... Hand helds are great for boltons since you don't really change internal engine dynamics. No way I'd just blindly trust a hand held or mail order tune program that was created without even seeing how my car operates. There's certain data you NEED from logging and such to determine what really needs to be done to a car. Manipulating the parameters isn't the hard part, having an understanding of what really needs to be manipulated is the key, and handhelds do not give you that.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by txhorns281
Manipulating the parameters isn't the hard part, having an understanding of what really needs to be manipulated is the key, and handhelds do not give you that.
there may not be one formula to make xxx duration cams to work right. but, like i said, you pick the cam program that fits your cam duration @ .050, then tune from there. the VHP handheld isn't like all the others out there. there were over 28 cars and over 1000 hours used to design the programs in this tuner. these are not generic tunes. they did all the driveability aspects of it. all the idle issues, TM, certain code parameters set far enough as not to trip the SES, etc. not saying there won't be something that you might come across that you might need taken care of that's not addressed by this handheld.

here's a dyno of my wife's 99 formula i just tuned using the handheld. all bolt ons, + heads, and stock cam. car runs and drives fine. idle is great. no surging, etc...

Old 02-21-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrr23
there may not be one formula to make xxx duration cams to work right. but, like i said, you pick the cam program that fits your cam duration @ .050, then tune from there. the VHP handheld isn't like all the others out there. there were over 28 cars and over 1000 hours used to design the programs in this tuner. these are not generic tunes. they did all the driveability aspects of it. all the idle issues, TM, certain code parameters set far enough as not to trip the SES, etc. not saying there won't be something that you might come across that you might need taken care of that's not addressed by this handheld.

here's a dyno of my wife's 99 formula i just tuned using the handheld. all bolt ons, + heads, and stock cam. car runs and drives fine. idle is great. no surging, etc...

stock cam... change that up and see how your handheld works out... Like i said before, boltons only = handheld friendly...
Old 02-21-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

well, apparantly, it took care of the additional airflow the heads provided. the cam will be a cakewalk from here. maybe you should try this handheld before commenting about it. this handheld isn't in the same class as the others. i'd take this over having to spend countless hours tuning with an editor. not saying you won't get better results using an editor, but you'll get better results with this tuner than with any other. 3 hours of dyno tuning trying the different options until max results acheived vs ???? hours dynoing and driving around with an editor or having someone else tune it for you and have to keep going back until finished.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: handheld custom cam tuning