Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash course on OS

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash course on OS

Ok , I put an LS1 from a '99 Z28 in my Trans Am but I used a computer from an '00 Silverado (same part number). I used my Tech2 and TIS (GM's software) to program the PCM with a calibration for a Z28 VIN I got. The PCM programmed fine and everything works, but when I tried to program it with a calibration file I downloaded from the bin repository, it said the Operating system wasn't compatible.

If the PCM took the calibration and it runs fine, what could the difference in OS be? How do I change the OS? Should I keep the current OS or change it to something else?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was the .bin for a year that you're licensed for? (if you have a license for a 99 and 2000 you can't flash a 2001 calibration into it... even if you have a 99 and 2000 license, if you try to flash a 2000 calibration into a 99 PCM it'll bitch since there may be differences in the calibration/where data's stored, etc...)

What year .bin was the one you received this error on?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the liscense for a '99 Z28 (for my LS1 swap) and for my '04 Yukon.
I then went to the bin repository and "borrowed" a VIN for a '99 camaro.

Using that VIN, I downloaded the stock calibration from GM to overwrite the '00 sliverado calibration that was in the PCM, before I EVER hooked HP Tuners up to the PCM. The stock Z28 calibration loaded fine, and I have been modifying it with no problem, its just that when I tried to load the bin from the bin repository of the car I borrowed the VIN from, thats when I got the error.

So apparently, I'm running a '99 calibration on an '00 truck Operating System.
My questions are:

1) will this ever be a problem using it like this?
2) can I change it to the '99 Z OS or is my HP Tuner locked to the '00 OS?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so long as you flashed the entire PCM from the 00 truck to a 99 F-Body and the VIN is a 99 F-Body ... you could be able to do a full rewrite of the PCM w/any 99 F-Body .bin

However, if the OS ID for your 99 .bin is different from that of the .bin you download it won't work doing just a calibration (quick) write...