Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any non-LSx/LTx tuners on this board? SD tuning virgin

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any non-LSx/LTx tuners on this board? SD tuning virgin

I'm really liking this board so far for all the advice and tuning knowledge I'm seeing, but a good lot of it is directed towards the OBD-II tuning stuff, I'm curious if anyone on this board has done work with the speed density ECM's GM made in the late 80's/early 90's, and what advice/insight they can give me?

Right now my setup is a '72 Cheyenne, 350, TH350, Qjet manifold with a 454 TBI (with 350 injectors) and TBI-->Qjet adapter. 1227747 ECM, Moates G2 and Atmel C1. I have a pocket programmer II for now but eventually want to buy a Moates Ostrich for realtime tuning (one of my honda-owning friends is financing it too...heh heh heh). I also have a mastach ALDL scanner for datalogging and a dell LS laptop & inverter for running the datalogger and pocket programmer. I'm using Tunerpro to change the .bin files, transtronics software to burn and WinALDL to log.

Right now the truck runs but is a bit off...I am running a 4.3 program (seems to have best running characteristics of the 3 chips I tried) that runs but not great and definitely not great acceleration. I used tunerpro to turn the flag for EGR off and thats the only change at the moment. I have winALDL running but don't really know what to look for when I make changes...I know that at the basics (spark, fuel) everything needs to be generally tuned the same, but I'm curious as to what insight those of you who are or have tuned speed density systems can give me specific to it.

Thanks!
Oh and check out my website, www.speedyoldtruck.com, tell me what you think of it
Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 AM
Teching In

bizump....
Old 03-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Teching In

You might try Alvin over at www.speeddensity.org
Old 03-22-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well you'll need to do some scanning and use a wideband O2 to see where you are right now.
Once you get some good data, you go to work on the VE table.
You may be able to adjust the injector constant a bit to bring things closer accross the board before tweaking the VE table.

Tuning without any scanning is actually possible, but is a terrible option and requires an experienced tuner to be there on the spot driving the vehicle.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by greenbuggy
I'm really liking this board so far for all the advice and tuning knowledge I'm seeing, but a good lot of it is directed towards the OBD-II tuning stuff, I'm curious if anyone on this board has done work with the speed density ECM's GM made in the late 80's/early 90's, and what advice/insight they can give me?

Right now my setup is a '72 Cheyenne, 350, TH350, Qjet manifold with a 454 TBI (with 350 injectors) and TBI-->Qjet adapter. 1227747 ECM, Moates G2 and Atmel C1. I have a pocket programmer II for now but eventually want to buy a Moates Ostrich for realtime tuning (one of my honda-owning friends is financing it too...heh heh heh). I also have a mastach ALDL scanner for datalogging and a dell LS laptop & inverter for running the datalogger and pocket programmer. I'm using Tunerpro to change the .bin files, transtronics software to burn and WinALDL to log.

Right now the truck runs but is a bit off...I am running a 4.3 program (seems to have best running characteristics of the 3 chips I tried) that runs but not great and definitely not great acceleration. I used tunerpro to turn the flag for EGR off and thats the only change at the moment. I have winALDL running but don't really know what to look for when I make changes...I know that at the basics (spark, fuel) everything needs to be generally tuned the same, but I'm curious as to what insight those of you who are or have tuned speed density systems can give me specific to it.

Thanks!
Oh and check out my website, www.speedyoldtruck.com, tell me what you think of it

Did you ever goto the thirdgen.com forums? They have EXTENSIVE resources on programming older GM PCM's and many debates and how-to's on speed density and MAF programming. I believe some are even stickies so they are easy to find.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by greenbuggy

Thanks!
This is the perfect site for you to check out www.thirdgen.org and go to the diy chip burning section... tons of info there and very knowledgable ppl.