Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper tuning order?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper tuning order?

I am getting the hang of this but I am still a little confused as to the correct order of tuning. I have a stock internals car with bolt ons and full exhaust. Can someone chime in and correct me with suggestions if I'm wrong or let me know your method.

1. put car in SD mode and calculate new MAF table via spreadsheet (thanks RedHard Supra)
2. After enough data is collected for new MAF table and a new table is in place, Start working on VE via methods in the stickies at the top of the tuning section. I do not have a wideband as of yet. Do you use average values in the LTFT histograms or the last value etc.?
3. Once you get VE/LTFTS dialed in turn MAF back on. What will happen to the LTFTs when the MAF comes back into play? Do I then redo the MAF table?

I havent gotten to PE or Timing tuning yet. I needed to get over this hurdle first. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Am I correct in assuming that VE tuning is independant of the MAFs calibrations since when you tune VE it is in SD mode? Anyone have any comment on the first post, particularly what happens when the MAF is back in the loop and what values (average, last??) on the histogram to use?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

VE first then MAF

While doing VE play with timing to where you like it (or your car rather) and get idling functions set if need be. then correct VE to it's final stage, and recalibrate MAF if your going to use it.

VE calcs of airmass are used in tandem with MAF reports of airmass. The further these two are from each other, the more problems you will have with fueling. You can calibrate your sensors to do some tricking, but makes more sense to just realign everything.

Use average values in HPT

Last edited by txhorns281; 03-02-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

On HPTuners forum, there is a newbie guide under "getting started". Check that out, it goes into a lot of detail.