Sponsored by:

2.73 geared vette and WOT shiftpoint and TM questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2.73 geared vette and WOT shiftpoint and TM questions

Hi guys,

I have a 2.73 geared vette and I want to get the WOT shift points dialed in. I have done an extensive search and this is what I am thinking.

Going to set my rev limit to 6500rpm

WOT shiftpoints for 2.73:
1-2 59mph 6200rpm
2-3 111mph 6200rpm

2-1 45mph 2500rpm
3-2 99mph 3400rpm
4-3 149mph 3600rpm

Thoughts? Anything I should change?

I know there is a bit of a lag with the shifts but is this evident with the stock converter? I really want to stretch out the 1-2 shift as the gearing drop with the stock converter is pretty awful

Additional questions for you

1) How should I adjust shift firmness (I want to shorten shift time and increase line pressure but not to the point of throwing codes or prematurely killing the trans)

2) Should I remove TM altogether?

3) Any part throttle shifting tips with the 2.73s?

Thanks guys, I am eventually doing a converter and drag radials but probably not this season.

Car will have TPIS headers, Xpipe, LS6 intake, ported throttle body, Z06 catback, Halltech stinger, 180 stat and full dynotuning.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris:

Shift delay and line pressure are not necessarily the same. TM can be deleted too. You describe this in theory, but if it is not noticable, why subject the tranny to the extra abuse?

I raise the part throttle shifts on cars with a high stall converter to absorb some of the looseness. On a stock converter car, it may not be nearly as much an issue, but I haven't driven a stock converter in years. The best way to tweak things is to keep a list of situations when you do not like how the car behaves. Note the speed and TPS(relative TPS if you are not logging) and gear you are in. Also note whether the converter is locked or not. After a week or two, you can then adjust the part throttle shifts to cure these things and not mess up things that are working for you.

BTW, your mods are in the wrong order. The correct order is:
converter
HPT or other tuning software
Engine mods
Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks man

I know the converter should be first but I dont want to tear into the tranny until it is necessary

Do you think multiplying the shift delay table by 50% will hurt anything?

What about my downshift info and WOT shift points? Do they look good?

Thanks again!
Chris
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Chrispy!!!! my advocate on c.f..... I eliminated t.m. all to gether and for 2 years no problem. Also firmed up shifts as per instructions and line pressure( may want to do a search on line pressure. Shifts normal but based on throttle
position shifts firmer particularly at wot. I have same gears but with 3200 t.c. I left the shift points alone but changed converter lockup (was getting code).
Old 03-08-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey man

Thanks for the info!