Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

po171 / po174

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default po171 / po174

i did a search on this and came up with some things to try althought im having some different things happen with my car.

first of all the car is a 2000 camaro SS 6 speed mods are as follows

-jet hot long tubes/no cats/02 sims/loudmouth exhaust
-K&N FIPK

within the last 3 months the car has been running like **** off and on......after the car is warmed up it doesnt want to idle correctly after driving and pulling up to a red light......as i clutch and pull it out of gear coasting to a stop it revs to about 1800rpm as i slow down the rpm's come down to normal idle(that to me sounds like a vacum leak) once i stop sometimes it lowers the idle to about 250rpm's almost stalls out and then idles normal again.

another problem that causes the idle to drop real low is when i put on the defrost for either the windsheild or the windsheild and floor.......soon as u hear the compressor kick on the idle drops runs like its missing for about 15-20secs and then idles fine......again the exhaust is full of carbon build up within id say about 50 miles of driving

lastly i had the car on my buddys lift thursday and found a small crack in the y-pipe which im going to weld tomorrow not sure what if any effect that may have on the situation.

sorry for the long post but its a weird problem that needs to be explained in detail........thanks for the help
Old 03-19-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Do you have any tuning done to your car? I would check connections around your TB. Also check for val leaks. You are not setting any codes are you?

Bill
Old 03-19-2005, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

i havent had the car tuned......i recently installed a TNT f1 kit i havent sprayed it and the problem was present before the power ring went on........the other code that was in there was for the secondary air injection.

ive had that code a couple times in the last 3 years the check valve on the passenger side gets stuck usually i just spray some brakekleen in it and blow air in and its fine.....once again not sure if that may have something to with it.......i want to make sure it doesnt have a lean problem before i spray the car
Old 03-19-2005, 03:55 PM
wrencher

Have you cleaned the FIPK recently? The MAF's dont like the oil from cleaning them. You can clean the MAF w/throttle bore cleaner or the brake clean. 171/174, the O2's are staying lean on both banks.The fuel pressure might be an issue, it needs to be diagnosed. I dont suggest you spray this thing until you get this issue fixed.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

i dont plan on sprayin until i know its good.....i dont wanna pop a motor......as far as checking the fuel pressure can that be done by just hookin up a gauge to the fuel rail where the shrader valve is and reading the pressure of should i do it further back around the tank somehow..........also roughly what should the fuel pressure be???
Old 03-19-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

If I recall correctly, those are lean codes. I thought it meant that your LTFTs were out of the PCM's range. If you don't have any any mechanical problems, you'd just need to tune your LTFTs. If it's mechanical, like a leak or something, you'd need to fix that.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

thanks for all the help guys..........im gonna clean the maf and weld the y-pipe where the crack is and go from there......tuning should be done by the 1st week in april
Old 03-21-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds like a solid plan!