Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle problem after head and cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem after head and cam swap

I have been having some idle problems. I sent my computer off to Chris R after I finished the head and cam swap. He said to take the idle screw out and put it back in the other way and screw it all the way in and then back it out about 1.5 turns. I did that but it was idled pretty high. I turned the screw in all the way and it was idleing about 800 which seemed great. But after driving it a few times the idle has gotten higher. Now it idles at 1000 rpm. I cant turn the screw in anymore because it is in all the way now. Any ideas and what maybe causing this? My ses light hasnt came on on.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Idle

You do not adjust the idle through the Screw on the T/B. This will affect the TPS voltage which in turn will affect other parameters . The proper way to adjust the idle is programming the PCM. If your IAC counts are not in line then you can open or close the T/B.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah what this Chris R told you to do was for getting more idle air for the cam, not to change the idle speed. You need to recalibrate the pcm so it sees the new TB setting as zero % throttle. Do this by unplugging the TPS with the ignition off. Then turn on the ignition for a few seconds, then back off. Plug the TPS back in, and next time you start the engine it will be calibrated.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks a million guys, I will go and do that.