PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a tune yet? Please HELP the new guy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I need a tune yet? Please HELP the new guy!

Please help, I'm new to this web site as a member, but I was visiting here quite often for last couple months, and I realize that You guys help a lots of people, and usually know what you're talking about, so please help me wit my question.
I was wondering if I need a tune already for my 00' Camaro SS M6 with 55K?
My mods are:
-Hypertech PP3 ( for now used only for my 4.10 gear to set the speedometer)
" I need to know also If I can use it for more than that?"
-SLP 4.10 Gear
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch
-Hurst short throw shifter with Austin Qwik short stick
-Flowtech Long Tube Headers
-Flowtech 3" Y-pipe
-Rumbler cat back from Texas Speed
-Whisper Air Lid with K&N filter and K&N breather
-SLP bellow
-ASP Underdrive & Alternator Pulleys
-160 Hypertech thermostat
-HOTCHKIS Lowering Springs 1 inch drop
with Air Lift AIR BAGS on both sides
-Hotchkis adjustable Pan hard bar
-Lakewood Driveshaft Safety Loop
-ZR1 chrome wheels 17/11 rear, 17/9.5 front
-Nitto Drag Radials 315/35/17 rear 275/40/17 front

PLUS planning to add, asap:
-SLP 85 mm MAF sensor
-BBK SSI 85mm Intake manifold with
-BBK 80mm Throttle Body
-O2 sensors simulators
Also how much hp should I have with all these mods already and how much would it increase after parts that I'm planning to put on asap.
What do You think guys, Please share your knowledge - Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 03:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would without question. Main reason is your LT headers and y-pipe plus the other things you have done. You will also gain HP and torq with a good tune with someone that knows our cars.

As for the Hypertech III you can also change what temp your fans come on since you have a 160 thermostat.

I would look into a tune.

Also you may want to consider looking into a cam for your car with your setup. Would make a world of differance. Look into a 224 with a 114-112 lsa or higher.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

thanks a lot for a quick answer, I apreciate it, looks like I'll be getting a tune but until I do so can I still drive without one?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can drive w/out a tune... shoudl be ok... but you'll be leaving some power on the table.... you're mods are all bolt-ons ....

for now don't worry about the SLP 85mm MAF ....

and w/nittos, 4.10s , M6 and 10 bolt... don't worry about your 60ft.... launch soft and go for MPH .... better than launching hard and going for a tow truck heh
Old 03-24-2005, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot HORIST, yeah I don't want to see any tow trucks around my car, lol.
If I can ask you about something else now? I aslo posted it in M6 forum but heree it is again : This is really important to me please help....
Ok, I've just put in my new Spec stage 3 clutch into my 00' SS today. Well I had A shop do it for me, lol, Everything seems to be fine, besides that when I start to drive really slow, (you know like in a traffic or pulling in/out the garage) I feel like the whole car is shaking, you can feel something moving and hear some noise from the driveshaft and the transmission, it's very irritating, but when you launch a little harder, faster, everything is fine, and car goes smooth. That shaking, moving and noise happens only when I start from first gear very slow or when I'm in the reverse very slow, all other gears are fine and go in like it supposed too. When I got under the car it seems like the driveshaft is a little loose ( when I put my hands on it and tried to move it, it moves a little.) I'm not sure if it was like that on stock, but I can't see how I could get it any stiffer. The mechanic says that everything is back in its place and there is no way to tighten it any more. He says that its that kind of clutch and that Stage 3 is not recommended for street use. Is there anything wrong with it???, please help me out guys. PLEASE
Old 03-24-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

the driveshaft will move a little on it's rotational axis... that's normal....

as for the shaking.... I have no idea heh.... any time I drive a stick shift it shakes alot... then usually dies... I do know that a race clutch feels alot different than a stocker though.... much less give between not engaged and engaged... but manuals don't like me (they don't like to stay running ) so not sure
Old 03-24-2005, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

lol, thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 03:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Super Sport Beast
thanks a lot for a quick answer, I apreciate it, looks like I'll be getting a tune but until I do so can I still drive without one?
You can but you also take a chance of burning out the catts and fouling the plugs because the computer will be running richer due to the LT headers and hi-flo cats. That would be the main reason.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

The clutch grabs harder and is pulling on the engine & tranny mounts. Just sounds like they are slopped out a bit. Swapping to poly mounts may get rid of most of the shake. Also check for slop in your rear suspension and torque-arm.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

think you may be experiencing "clutch chatter" Type it into the search button and you will find out a lil more about it....