Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed inspection: "OBDII Communication Failure"

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed inspection: "OBDII Communication Failure"

I recently went for the new NYS OBDII inspection and failed because of "OBDII Communication Failure". My car is tuned with LS1 Edit. My first thought was that I may have a problem with the readiness monitors, but apparently those would have been listed seperately on the inspection receipt. Any ideas on how I can go about fixing this? I don't have any problems with the way the car runs, no SES light, etc. so I'm not sure what can be wrong.

BTW here is the exact note listed on my inspection report:

"OBDII Communication Failure: Connectors are OK, but still unable to communicate. The NYVIP unit must communicate with your vehicle to test its On Board Diagnostic system for New York State Inspection. We recommend you contact a qualified technician for assistance and have the vehicle repaired to manufacturer's specification."
Old 03-27-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Check the fuse for the cig lighter. It also is what powers the OBD2 datalink connector. If that fuse blows, you cant communicate.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy ******* ****. I think I blew my cig lighter fuse like a year ago when using one of those little plug in air compressors. I totally forgot about it until now (I've never had to use the cig lighter since). If this is why I failed I'm gonna LOL This is why I love this board. I never would've figured that one out on my own. I owe you one
Old 03-27-2005, 03:17 AM
Teching In

This happened to me too while making a harness for the OBDII. It's the Cig lighter fuse....

Originally Posted by Phil99TA
Holy ******* ****. I think I blew my cig lighter fuse like a year ago when using one of those little plug in air compressors. I totally forgot about it until now (I've never had to use the cig lighter since). If this is why I failed I'm gonna LOL This is why I love this board. I never would've figured that one out on my own. I owe you one

Quick Reply: Failed inspection: "OBDII Communication Failure"