PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with understanding why I can't get VE to stablize for the IDLE area

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with understanding why I can't get VE to stablize for the IDLE area

Ok this is getting on my nerves, it seems like I can lower the VE in the IDLE area and matter of fact I keep lowering it for most of the cells in the upper left side of the chart. I'll lower it by 7 because it will show like -9 and then flash it and I still show it to be like -7. If I keep doing it I'll be at 0VE and still be -7!

It’s almost like the car is assuming that there is more air coming in than there is and as such adds X amount of fuel then has to go back and take it back based on O2 readings. Please take a look at the screen shots below, you will need to detach them and open in an image view because they look really bad in IE.k

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Need help with understanding why I can't get VE to stablize for the IDLE area-untitled.jpg   Need help with understanding why I can't get VE to stablize for the IDLE area-ve-graph.jpg   Need help with understanding why I can't get VE to stablize for the IDLE area-ve-chart.jpg  
Old 03-29-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably because your idle isn't the upper left hand corner of the table.

Scan it to see what load range you're running in at idle. It may not be where you think it is.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Launching!

OK correction Middle left side of the chart is were my IDLE sits, but the problem area is all the cells with IDLE and around the idle cells and then of course the area were it bounces around in at the top for deceleration.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay then. Well whatever the MAF reports gets applied to whatever you've done to your VE table, so I'd take a look at the MAF table next.
You may need to rescale a small section of the MAF table.
I've had to take out as much as 25% from the MAF table due to swapping MAFs. See what kind of effect you get by reducing your MAF values around idle by about 10%
Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been plagued with the same problems since day one. Tune is perfect except idle and decel conditions. No one's really found away that I know to effectively counter this. I've tried playing with the MAF at lower frequencies but it doesn't totally help the situation. I may try a few things here and let you know how it goes. Damn stupid, awesome, *******, badass cams...
Old 03-29-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Three things.
1) is MAF still plugged in, if yes, unplug
2) is proprtional idle enabled, if yes, disable
3) refer to items 1 and 2
Old 03-29-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Another_User
Three things.
1) is MAF still plugged in, if yes, unplug
2) is proprtional idle enabled, if yes, disable
3) refer to items 1 and 2

What he said. Also please mind the fact that when you unplug your MAF, you will need to edit your BACKUP VE TABLE, not the primary.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Launching!

MAF has been uplugged for the last month as I've been working on gettting the VE straight and It's there except for the IDLE and Decel area's. I edit the primary VE and then take the appropriate lines from there and copy over the secondary VE table so in the end the primary VE table is also accurate.

As for Proportional IDLE I bet it's still turned on, because I didn't know to disable it. So what effect does disabling the proportional Idle have? Will I need to make adjustments after its turned off?

Again thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so here's what i tried this afternoon. All MAF values below 3000 Hz, I scaled by 85% (multiply by .85) and the voila, all the same **** that you're messing with, that'd I've messed with went away.... Now whats' wierd is I tried this before and it worked in certain areas but not everywhere. And now the trims are exactly where they need to be... Sooooo I'm just going to go with it If you want a peek at my tune, download it off the repository (it's a 2000 TA M6) and just imagine my MAF curve at 85% below 3000 HZ.

Disabling the proportional idle will cease the PCMs ability to screw around with idle airflow based on some other stupid configurations. Just turn it off, especially if cammed. And you will want to tune the VE quickly, then tune your MAF accordingly shortly thereafter in order to keep your trims stable through all conditions. And I've argued this before (and it may not really matter) but I found it easier to tune the secondary first, then derive a primary VE from your final secondary table.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
ok so here's what i tried this afternoon. All MAF values below 3000 Hz, I scaled by 85% (multiply by .85) and the voila, all the same **** that you're messing with, that'd I've messed with went away.... Now whats' wierd is I tried this before and it worked in certain areas but not everywhere. And now the trims are exactly where they need to be... Sooooo I'm just going to go with it If you want a peek at my tune, download it off the repository (it's a 2000 TA M6) and just imagine my MAF curve at 85% below 3000 HZ.

Disabling the proportional idle will cease the PCMs ability to screw around with idle airflow based on some other stupid configurations. Just turn it off, especially if cammed. And you will want to tune the VE quickly, then tune your MAF accordingly shortly thereafter in order to keep your trims stable through all conditions. And I've argued this before (and it may not really matter) but I found it easier to tune the secondary first, then derive a primary VE from your final secondary table.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
no, you ARE stupid j/k man, when we gonna meet up!
Old 03-30-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might be free this Sunday...I'll get back with ya!