PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guide to VE tuning using fuel trims

Old 04-12-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the primary and secondary isnt hard to do. tune the primary like you normally do with any other tune. copy the respective rows over to the secondary.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
Added this to the main sticky up top... thanks for the work. You may want to specify in there though that 98-00 cars (at least F-Bodies) use a secondary VE table when in SD mode, so you want to adjust the Main VE

But then also the secondary VE, perhaps those that have done SD tuning on the earlier PCMs can offer some advice
Horist ... glad you mentioned it... Which ve table to tune in with ls1edit main or secondary and why??? The crank ve table I assume is for those with starting and idle issues? Not trying to hijack but a newbie would want to know.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
i made a simple VE caculator excel sheet in which you paste your current primary and secondary VE table and your STFT histogram(averaged) and it calculates your new primary and secondary VE. It also takes percentages of your STFT's so you dont have to do one pass with 100% and another pass with 50 %. its set up like this.

STFT <-10 multiply by 0.75
STFT <-6 multiply by 0.4
STFT <-3 multiply by 0.2
-3< STFT <=0 mulitply by 1
0< STFT <4 multiply by 0.5
4 < STFT < 8 multiply by 0.75
STFT > 8 multiply by 1

Kinda like that, then it takes these values and adds/subtracts them from the old VE and calculates a new VE. I used a lesser multiplier for the negative values since I like to have the STFT slightly negative.

If you want I can email it to you and you can look at it. It is a very simple excel sheet and took only ten minutes.
Would you send me a copy also???? rmanley1@***.net
Old 04-13-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

you want to change both the primart and the secondary tables, they are pretty much the same except for the enrties. the primary goes 5 kpa and secondary goes 10. make the main changes to the primary and copy over to secondary
Old 04-13-2005, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
Proportional idle turned off
LTFT learning turned off
copied high octane to low octane
oh wait........

RPM
Speed
TPS
Ignition Timing Advance
KR
Mass Air flow
MAP
ECT
IAT
O2 b1s1
O2 b2s1
TPS (volts)
Idle park position airflow
STFT 1
STFT 2
LTFT 1
LTFT 2
IAC position
FTC

I can send you the log, its not my newest one but it logs these parameters. STFT's and LTFT's log although retard and advance log only on upper row.

I looked over a couple of older logs (before I disabled MAF/proportional idle/ltft learning) and the advance and retard worked fine.
Here is a copy of an old post I made when I was having the same problem as you hope this helps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I am in the middle of tuning my car in speed density. Unfortunately I was not able to use the timing histograms with the MAF unplugged, because the timing stayed in the .08 row. I asked here and no one could tell me a way around this. I e-mailed Keith at Hptuners and he responded withing a few minutes and told me the way around it. With the MAF unplugged you will have to remove the MAF PID from the scanner and then insert the Dynamic Airflow PID and then the timing histograms will work correctly!! Now I see no reason to hook up the MAF again. I hope this helps some of you and remeber, you have to remove the MAF pid or the scanner will use that for the timing, insert the Dynamic Airflow pid and it will work just like before. All thanks should go to Keith for this information. HP tuners is awesome and the customer service is second to none. Thanks again Keith.
Matt
Old 04-13-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nbmls1ta
HP tuners is awesome and the customer service is second to none. Thanks again Keith.
Matt
yeah i dont know about that, he always tells me to go to the forums, i told him i changed my ifr table and its right when i did injectors and the car still runs bad and i asked what else to change. he told me i should change the ifr table. well no **** thats already been done. i havent gotten good customer support from them at all when it came to my problems, just had to spend weeks figuring it out on my own
Old 04-13-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Nice write up.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
yeah i dont know about that, he always tells me to go to the forums, i told him i changed my ifr table and its right when i did injectors and the car still runs bad and i asked what else to change. he told me i should change the ifr table. well no **** thats already been done. i havent gotten good customer support from them at all when it came to my problems, just had to spend weeks figuring it out on my own
Man, I am sorry to hear about your problems with them. They have been nothing but helpful to me so far but there is ALWAYS two sides to every story. I hope you get everything figured out and your tuning days are full of improvement not frustration. When are you planning on installing the heads and cam? By the way your car looks amazingly clean, I wish mine looked half that good, I just hit a deer and it took some paint off the bumper and cracked the passenger side front quarter panel...oh well.
Have a good one
Matt
Old 04-13-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with going to the forums for common questions? I'd rather have the hptuners guys spend their time developing new stuff and answer the harder questions.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

**** these are harder questions, i was reading the help file and it said that the proportional base vs airflow mode shoudl change with injector size. doesnt say which way so i went and did trial and error with no help. i posted MANY questions on all the forums that went unanswered or unresolved and searched. i have been doing this for the last month with no answers as of yet. i let them know the extent of my problems, i was told by racetronix that the pulse width may need to be modified. i asked them for help and they told me to do everything that i already told them i did. they have pleanty of time to devlope new things, part of a buisness is customer support. all i asked for was a brief explaination and i got nothing. the time it took him to tell me to go to the help file and go to how tos and then injectors he could have easily explained some of my quesitons that i had, and where he sent me was a waste of time and was no help.

heads and cam go in soon, this is why im trying to figure out my injector problem. i just wish they were as helpful to me as they were to everyone else

thanks for the compliment too

i still really need help with the injector problems so feel free to check my 1.6 million posts asking about it lol
Old 04-13-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silverhawk_02TA
As far as disabling PE, this is necessary as it will dump in extra fuel while you are trying to hit the higher MAP cells and throw off your trims. Yes, if you try to do a WOT run like you would for tuning your PE, you're going to get detonation. However, using my method the engine only hits these cells for a fraction of a second. I can fill almost all my STFT histogram cells up to 6000 RPM, including all max MAP (the most MAP I can pull here in the "Land of Enchamntment" is 85 kpa ) cells, with absolutely no KR at all, and I run a spark advance table that is much more aggressive than stock. This being said, I do need to add a warning about the importance of monitoring KR during every step of VE tuning to the guide.
To disable PE in HP Tuners I can just set the PE Enable - MAP value real high, like 150 right and PE will be disabled?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
To disable PE in HP Tuners I can just set the PE Enable - MAP value real high, like 150 right and PE will be disabled?
Yep. I think the max value is 640, but as long as it's set to a MAP value you'll never reach you'll be good.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
Do you know how to disable PE using FlashScan?

Bill
Old 04-15-2005, 01:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Should be the same in FlashScan. Just find the Power Enrichment table and set it high.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.allmod.net/hpt/VE2bar.xls

Features:
2bar ready
FULL and HALF resolution output from the same data
HALF resolution calculated as a result of neighbouring FULL res table
automatic filtering out output of values in the target range (if not broken, don't fix it)

Instructions:
copy'n'paste LTFTs
copy'n'paste STFTs
take the results and multiply them on top of your existing VE table.

enjoy,
Marcin
Old 05-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
Welcome to HPTuners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldnt agree more
I still cant believe it doesnt come with directions or a friggin manual.
I have countless unanswered questions over there. Im looking else where now. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Braciole
Welcome to HPTuners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldnt agree more
I still cant believe it doesnt come with directions or a friggin manual.
I have countless unanswered questions over there. Im looking else where now. Good luck!
Digging up some OLD ones aren't ya...

How could they make a manual for the countless setups, PCMs, OS versions, and possible approaches?
Old 05-17-2009, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

I dont feel its their responsibility to tell you how to tune your car, their software allows you to change the computer... why should they be liable for typos in their manual when you blow your engine because they accidently put in an extra zero.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frost
Digging up some OLD ones aren't ya...

How could they make a manual for the countless setups, PCMs, OS versions, and possible approaches?
I disagree They should tell you how the software works.
I never said they should teach anyone to tune. Thanks for paying attention
Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
I dont feel its their responsibility to tell you how to tune your car, their software allows you to change the computer... why should they be liable for typos in their manual when you blow your engine because they accidently put in an extra zero.
Go back to sleep, AGAIN I never said "tell me how to tune" I never said they should be liable for anything? It helps if you read the post THEN reply
Good luck
Direction and or a manual would have been nice. You get one with everything else you buy???????????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guide to VE tuning using fuel trims