Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners VS LS1 Edit...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 06:53 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default HP Tuners VS LS1 Edit...

Can anyone tell the benefits of HP Tuners over LS1edit? I heard that they offer a credit for LS1 Cables toward the purchase of a HP Cable. Any info is appreciated.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:58 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

these threads have been done ad nasuem. in short HPT > edit. i believe there still doing the trade in deal. i traded in my efi live v5 and my cost out the door was 280 for my HPT.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any more info on HPTs trade in deal?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 04-11-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just traded in my LS1 Edit cable last week and they were still doing it. I got HPT for $309.99 shipped.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Can anyone tell the benefits of HP Tuners over LS1edit? I heard that they offer a credit for LS1 Cables toward the purchase of a HP Cable. Any info is appreciated.
You might also want to look at the newest OBD-II tuner product by Tunercat.
They have been around longer then most in they have a tuner product for the older ECM/Eprom based GM cars/trucks for several years now and now cover 1996 to 2004 LT1, LSx and Vortec cars/trucks.

Its the best from a cost standpoint in its not locking you to a PCM or car, you pay for 2 or more model years and then can do unlimited units.

Cost is $380 and you get 2 model years and what is damn cheap if you want other model years its simply $80 and its as simple as sending a paypal and then they email you the def file and your in business with the added car/truck types.

Here is the breakdown :

OBD2_07 1996 - 1997 Vortec Trucks (4.3L, 5.7L, 7.4L)

OBD2_06 1998 - 2000 Vortec Trucks (4.3L, 5.7L, 7.4L)

OBD2_02 1999 - 2000 LS1 Trucks (4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L)

OBD2_01 1999 - 2001 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette LS1

OBD2_03 2001 - 2002 LS1 Trucks (4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L)

OBD2_04 2003 - 2004 LS1 Trucks (4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L)

OBD2_08 1996 - 1997 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette LT1

OBD2_09 1997 - 1998 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette LS1

OBD2_05 2002 - 2003 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette LS1

OBD2_10 2004 Corvette
-------------------------------------------------

I just spent another 2 weeks testing the other 3 OBD-II tuner laptop products with their newest releases and Tunercat is the best in overall costs for the personal and business user and the most error free other then LS1edit.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

It took Tunercat a loooooong time to bring product to market. HPT has been out for quite a while and they are the gold standard for customer service and responsiveness IMO.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Team ZR-1
You might also want to look at the newest OBD-II tuner product by Tunercat.
They have been around longer then most in they have a tuner product for the older ECM/Eprom based GM cars/trucks for several years now and now cover 1996 to 2004 LT1, LSx and Vortec cars/trucks.

Its the best from a cost standpoint in its not locking you to a PCM or car, you pay for 2 or more model years and then can do unlimited units.

Cost is $380 and you get 2 model years and what is damn cheap if you want other model years its simply $80 and its as simple as sending a paypal and then they email you the def file and your in business with the added car/truck types.

Here is the breakdown :

OBD2_07 1996 - 1997 Vortec Trucks (4.3L, 5.7L, 7.4L)

OBD2_06 1998 - 2000 Vortec Trucks (4.3L, 5.7L, 7.4L)

OBD2_02 1999 - 2000 LS1 Trucks (4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L)

OBD2_01 1999 - 2001 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette LS1

OBD2_03 2001 - 2002 LS1 Trucks (4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L)

OBD2_04 2003 - 2004 LS1 Trucks (4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L)

OBD2_08 1996 - 1997 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette LT1

OBD2_09 1997 - 1998 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette LS1

OBD2_05 2002 - 2003 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette LS1

OBD2_10 2004 Corvette
-------------------------------------------------

I just spent another 2 weeks testing the other 3 OBD-II tuner laptop products with their newest releases and Tunercat is the best in overall costs for the personal and business user and the most error free other then LS1edit.
do they offer a scanner with their stuff yet?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:55 PM
FormerVendor

Edit and error free in the same sentence. Thanks for the comic releif. . Have you ever pulled an edit bin from a PCM using a different software and witnessed ALL of the values that have either been changed or represented incorrectly...

TeamZR1 is a little biased as he has bashed both HPTuners and EFILive numerous times on this forum( search under his handle and you will see). Any and i mean ANY product besides Tuners and Live will get praise from him. All hell wouldve broke loose in here had EASE been able to flash PCM's.

For Scanner and Editing software you cant go wrong with either EFILive or HPTuners (Edit cant even get SP2 and AMD processors to cooperate with each other). You nned to buy the one that best suits your needs. I still havent decided yet so I use both of them on a daily basis because fo the different functionalities each one offers....
Old 04-12-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

damn, I didnt know about the trade in deal... .... I heard ls1edit takes forever to do the pcm flashes.... the customer support I've received on hptuners is outstanding!....
Old 04-12-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Edit and error free in the same sentence. Thanks for the comic releif. .

TeamZR1 is a little biased as he has bashed both HPTuners and EFILive numerous times on this forum( search under his handle and you will see). Any and i mean ANY product besides Tuners and Live will get praise from him. All hell wouldve broke loose in here had EASE been able to flash PCM's.

For Scanner and Editing software you cant go wrong with either EFILive or HPTuners (Edit cant even get SP2 and AMD processors to cooperate with each other). You nned to buy the one that best suits your needs. I still havent decided yet so I use both of them on a daily basis because fo the different functionalities each one offers....
Any time anyone has a different view their bias slants get personal when for 1 I can care less what anyone uses but what a forum is supposed to be about is the car owner and what is out there that works and saves us money and making it into defending nameplates is kiddie.

Tunercat has been out for many years and in their case rather wait until they hav a solid product rather then putting out something loaded with bugs as others do.
In all the years I have used their older ECM tuner not once did they charge for updates, its free.

The bitches against LS1edit was other tuner was not bound to a PCM and cost so this is no different, $380 gets you unlimited tuning for the models you choose so you get from 2 to 3 model years span and can tune unlimited vettes, camaro and firebirds for the same $380
When I want to tune a older ECM based car and had not bought that year before for the tuner software, the total cost to add a model is $20, that's right 20 bucks and now I can tune unlimited car of that year so that makes a difference in how the vendor treats you in the long run so Tunercat has a proven history of fair priced products with no hidden costs later on.

It does not come with a scanner now but they will include one when its done but as far as I am concerned ALL 3 other tuner products that come with a scanner are limited in what they do, are slow and miss many of GM enhanced PIDs so for me I still use a GM and EPA certified/approved scanner.

As to support I have through the years emailed TC even on weekends and within a few hours he would go out of his way to even add something I wanted to his program and charged me nothing to do it

Everyone who mentions a product they prefer can be called biased, in my case I collect no money or product from a vendor in mentioning them which means I do not just use it but have spent months testing it to see if it does what it claims. Saying its bashing really says I do not drink the cool-aid and freedom of choice is always mine

So in testing ALL 4 tuner products Tunercat comes in 2nd place of what I would use in my daily tuning of cars/trucks and may even move to #1 of my choice but in any case owners should know of any new product and what their costs are and for $380 unlimited cars within 2 model year span that is the best of all tuner products out there and it does what its supposed to

Using two different tuner products simply says neither does what they should
and only doubles the cost of tuning.

As to LS1edit is still is the tops in being bug free, solid and has tuned 1000s of cars, problem is cost and the vendor is a blood sucker but most vendors are anyways.
Consider unlimited LS1edit for all MY cars 3 years ago was close to $10,000, now wth tunercat it would be less then $1,000 total and would even include trucks so that is why I suggest looking it it before jumping on the fad wagon.

Last edited by Team ZR-1; 04-12-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so that is why I suggest looking it it before jumping on the fad wagon.
if they had anything on their site that was new maybe we could all ive seen is some pricing and a few screenshots and neither came from their site. Also for some new users they would need to add in the cost of a scanner making it even less tempting not to mention the use of an integrated w/b into the scanners efi live/hptuners have is a very good tool...not sure if tunercats offers this or will at any point.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Correct, send an email to HP Tuners sales (email on www.hptuners.com ) inquiring about the trade in. You send them your ls1 edit and they then take that amount off of the purchase price for HPT

As for benefits... HPT comes w/a scanner that's integrated w/the tuning software, makes it considerably easier to tune the car. flashing takes under 30 seconds, reading takes under 2 minutes (in most applications, some newer 1MB PCMs take just under 4 minutes to read)

HPT offers EIO for the scanner portion, so you can have the scanner trigger relies based on what it's scanning (example activate a circuit if the wideband EIO input is richer than 12.8:1), and you can have up to 4 inputs from external sensors (wideband O2 sensor, fuel pressure gauge, etc...)

the 2.0 software is to be released soon as well, which is a considerably better user interface for the tuner, and adds more functionality.

HP Tuners has been out for over a year now, and continues to get better and better.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Point taken. Since TC doesnt have a scanner and there are no release dates as to when it would be the same as buying edit and live back in the day and that still raises the cost of tuning. For those that want a COMPLETE package NOW they have two options. HPTuners and EFILive as edits scanner is a joke. You cant possible tune a vehicle WITHOUT a scanner of some sort. So yes the pricing is very attractive but you are still stuck either buying a scanner or WAITING for them to release their scanner software.

Also saying a company rushes and releases stuff with bugs is crazy. Anyone that writes software KNOWS you wont get it right the first time and bug fallout is anticipated. That is what beta testers are for and what they dont catch the public will. How fast its fixed will make or break them. Take a look at edit and SP2. Customers are STILL complaining their cables arent working. Dont believe me??? The edit mailing list had a few of these emails sent out late last week and early this week.

I use EFIlive and HPTuners in conjuction with each other because Live's scanner is way more intuitive and offers a lot more flexibilty when it comes to the scanner. HPTuners i use for the flashing customers cars because of it unlimited licensing for the year. Those are the ONLY reasons I use both. Is it expensive???? Yes but since I ran edit in the past I allready had live (scanner) when tuners was released. When live released their package you paid a small upgrade fee, I figured why not. Did I have to prolly not but I wanted to see what each package offered and am happy I did it that way....
Old 04-12-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that I have in hand two copies of HPTuners and one
EFILiveV6 I could see picking up TunerCat for further work;
I am pretty well set for scanners and the license model for
TunerCat certainly is appealing. However the impression
I got off the one TunerCat-oriented 'board I've found was
that the LS1 stuff was way not-ready still.

I expect when it's really good and ready we'll hear about
it with more accessible material to judge by.

I sure hope a price war doesn't break out. That would be
sooo unfortunate.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners VS LS1 Edit...