Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need good generic OBDII scanner - no tuning needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need good generic OBDII scanner - no tuning needed

Guys, I am looking for a good OBDII scanner, one that I can actually read the sensor data with. This is for a non-GM product, so the typical HPTuner/EFILive solution is not an option.

I don't need to tune, just read/scan data to do troubleshooting with.

I'm considering the Carchip thingy, but wanted to see if anyone has used anything else that works as good but is cheaper.

Example: On my 88 chevy pickup I just use WinALDL which was available via download for free.

Thanks in advance for any help !
Old 04-11-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of car is it for? Autotap is probably one of the best generic scanners (well maybe not best, but only one I know of that will work GM, ford, chrystler, etc...)

he carchip looks cool but not very useful imho... 1 log every 5 seconds isn't going to help much in troubleshooting...
Old 04-11-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point on the 5 second data rate, I hadn't looked at it that close. That would work fine for some parameters, like engine temperature, but not so good for map, TP, maf, or others.

Vehicle currently of interest is my wife's car, an 01 Volvo V70 T5. However when I replace it in 3 years when the lease is up there is a good probability it would not be a GM product (might be a CTS). I will probably replace my truck with another GM truck within the next two years, but it might be one that HPTuners does not support (read, Diesel), so I would like to have something that would be somewhat universal.

I guess I was looking for some recommendations on inexpensive scanner packages other than Autotap.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

If you have a windows laptop you can use this generic OBD-II scanner.

There are others that run on Palm Pilot and Windows handheld computers.

mod edit:
Please PM w/info... non sponsor that competes directly w/a sponsors product (that does the same thing) http://myscantool.com/index.html

Last edited by horist; 04-11-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

AutoXray. It appears to be a top-notch product, and you can get it for pretty much every brand vehicle. I have not used it, but I know Autotap didn't like a lot of cars. It is not particularly cheap though. In the OBD-II world, cheap usually means "crap".
Old 04-11-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another option is proscan.. they're a board sponsor

http://myscantool.com/index.html

While it can't log enhanced parameters, it can log the basic OBDII params... so may do what you need
Old 04-12-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Another_User
AutoXray. It appears to be a top-notch product, and you can get it for pretty much every brand vehicle. I have not used it, but I know Autotap didn't like a lot of cars. It is not particularly cheap though. In the OBD-II world, cheap usually means "crap".

I own a AutoXray Ez-Scan 4000. ODB2 only (works GM, Ford, Chrysler, Geo, Honda, Hyundi, Isuzu, Jaguar, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubisihi, Nissan, Subaru, Susuki, Toyota, WV, and Generic codes. it also has extended code support(for a $50 cost per manf ) for GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Works very nicely. can record 30 frames of data with a interval from 500ms to 5000 ms.

Cost me 230. Check their site to find which model works best for you.

Also with the additional purchase of a software package from them (another $50) you can graph the logged data.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nova5
I own a AutoXray Ez-Scan 4000. ODB2 only (works GM, Ford, Chrysler, Geo, Honda, Hyundi, Isuzu, Jaguar, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubisihi, Nissan, Subaru, Susuki, Toyota, WV, and Generic codes. it also has extended code support(for a $50 cost per manf ) for GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Works very nicely. can record 30 frames of data with a interval from 500ms to 5000 ms.

Cost me 230. Check their site to find which model works best for you.

Also with the additional purchase of a software package from them (another $50) you can graph the logged data.
How much ?