PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any MegaSquirt systems up and working yet??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any MegaSquirt systems up and working yet??

Hi,
im just wondering if here are any MegaSquit systems up and running yet? How hard was the install? Is anyone using it to control spark as well??

Let me know, Im really interested in this system, and am wondering how it works and if its as good an alternative as it sounds like?

Thanks in advance
ed
firebird455@gmail.com
Old 04-26-2005, 10:39 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been running it for awhile. works great, easy to install. i am not doing spark but i am doing fuel, efans, nitrous.

i am running 95lb injectors, just dynoed 767rwhp and 1000rwtq, just ran a 10.65@132mph and i weigh ~4700lbs on that run.

it is very easy to tune with.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

awsome
ed
Old 04-27-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

We just built one for ZAngel's car last night, and have been playing around with the stimulator on it We need to build a harness to patch it in with the stock PCM, and then we're off

Hey Jim, have you tried to piggyback the factory sensors (ECT and IAT)? I figured I'd just connect 'em up and run EasyTherm, can always compare the scan tools to see if the readings change with both connected. Otherwise I need to pick up another pair.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:59 PM
single digit dreamer

i have never tried it. from what i was reading it will change the output to the stock pcm.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

hm, its only like a few sensors that need to be added correct? the TPS you spliced didnt you parish? thats the only one that seems kind complicated to do
ed
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah, probably not worth the hassle to even try -- especially when the sensors probably aren't very expensive and easy to mount.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

the throttle position sensor, how would you hook another one up?
wouldnt splicing teh stocker be better?

Im only asking casue I dont know
Old 04-28-2005, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Brains, if you share the stock sensors between the two computers, you'll need to adjust the Bias resistance on bot the megasquirt and the factory ECU to get accurate temps back. Megasquirt can be recalibrated with Easytherm, but it's always been easiest for me to just go with additional sensors - they're cheap and easy to mount...

-scott
Old 04-28-2005, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69firebird
the throttle position sensor, how would you hook another one up?
wouldnt splicing teh stocker be better?

Im only asking casue I dont know

The TPS can be shared between both megasquirt and the factory ECU. It's only sensors that measure resistance that can't be shared - TPS is a variable voltage, not resistance. Thus it's actually the *easiest* sensor signal to get into megasquirt...

Brains, almost forgot - make sure you download the Extra firmware, version 021u3, to your megasquirt - and then get Megatune 2.25b358. Instructions for configuring both can be found on http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra

-scott
Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parish8
i have been running it for awhile. works great, easy to install. i am not doing spark but i am doing fuel, efans, nitrous.

i am running 95lb injectors, just dynoed 767rwhp and 1000rwtq, just ran a 10.65@132mph and i weigh ~4700lbs on that run.

it is very easy to tune with.
how is your gas milage been for normal driving if you have done any of that.
have you spent alot of time with part throttle tune?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

also MS can run 16 injectors right, similar to BS3?
can they be one set of high impedance and one set of low?
a set of 24's high and 96's low would be sweet.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Definitely going with the Extra firmware, that absolutely rocks Tiff went ahead and ordered another IAT and ECT sensor, and I had the extra connectors/pigtails sitting around from an old wiring harness I cannibalized
Old 04-28-2005, 04:22 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
also MS can run 16 injectors right, similar to BS3?
can they be one set of high impedance and one set of low?
a set of 24's high and 96's low would be sweet.
they say it can be used to run 16 injectors and each set can be independantly controled. you could run the 24s only up to 5psi and then phase in the 96's. even phase out the 24's as the boost really goes up.

i really dont know too much about the mega(i got a lot of help from geek) but just looking at the size of the components i would be learly to run 8 lowz injectors on one driver maybe geek can say what mods might have to be done to make that work. 2 sets of high z injectors would work for sure.

we did spend a lot more time with the part throttle. the WOT stuff took less than one hour to tune. we went from going for a trip around the block to WOT at 15psi blasts in about an hour. real easy. the part throttle stuff took us longer but it was still prety easy. you can do a change and then a test and a change and a test over and over. just takes a click or two and you see if it helped or made it worse.

the only time i checked my mileage i was around 12mpg. that tank was mostly down the highway with a few WOT blasts. if i beat on it i can see the gauge move. i am running closed loop so i see no reason why the mileage wont be as good as any other set up. i have it set to about 14.2-1 at part throttle and 11.8 at WOT. it seems to run better at 14.2 than it does at 14.7.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

12mpg you and your 4700lb truck
what did it get stock about 15-17mpg?
mine was getting 20mpg with my old turbotech kit, stock was 25mpg
im hoping to keep my weight at 3600lbs with me in it when i get a cage, ive done alot of weight removal this winter, but keepping all the interior and accessories can make it heavy, just dont want to be a 3900lb pig like some turbo cars on the board are.

i know you need the flyback board to run the low Z injectors, wonder if you need two flyback boards to run a set of low and high Z, but that will be in the distant future and i get the single plane manafold

ill probably be one of those persons who are always tunning, never done.
with gas prices the way they are i might be temped to run 16:1

now when you say your running closed loop is that with the WB or NB o2's?
can you run with both WB and NB or do you just need the WB?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

One flyback board should be able to support 16 injectors... there was a guy running this config on an alky dragster a few years ago...

you might run into issues where you'd want/need to make some modifications for the current capacity required for such a large quantity of low impedance injectors on one channel - if you ran into problems, for sure the MS-EFI forum guys would tell you what you need to do...

I would just run a single set of 8 big injectors. Get the 160 lb/hr units, you can tune idle with megasquirt - I tuned a lot of cars idling around 1.2 - 1.4ms pulsewidths, and if you can make minor tweaks to the fuel pressure, you can set up a perfectly good idle,

-scott
Old 04-29-2005, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Also, Jim could do WAAAAY better on mileage - we havent' spent a minute trying to get that right.

A local megasquirt'd 306 stang with a Paxton Novi blower has worked a lot on his mileage, and reports way better than factory - I'd guess around 20mpg. You have to tune the light-load cruise to run around 16:1 AFR and get your timing sorted out properly.

Jim's targeting keeps the motor rich during light load/cruise. That thing is a gas pig.

Also, I had a customer in CA actually pass an emissions test with his megasquirt, on the second try. Also requires you to get the timing and mixtures sorted out, and accell enrichments.

-scott
Old 04-29-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselgeek
Also, Jim could do WAAAAY better on mileage - we havent' spent a minute trying to get that right.

A local megasquirt'd 306 stang with a Paxton Novi blower has worked a lot on his mileage, and reports way better than factory - I'd guess around 20mpg. You have to tune the light-load cruise to run around 16:1 AFR and get your timing sorted out properly.

Jim's targeting keeps the motor rich during light load/cruise. That thing is a gas pig.

Also, I had a customer in CA actually pass an emissions test with his megasquirt, on the second try. Also requires you to get the timing and mixtures sorted out, and accell enrichments.

-scott

doesnt CA require a ODBII port check? what did he do? fake it using the OEM PCM with the non-spark codes turned off?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

It is on a turbo Ford Probe V6.

What we did, is we left the factory computer in place - we took over timing and fuel control, and that is it. We had to install resistors in place of the factory injector circuitry, so the factory computer wouldn't throw codes.

Factory computer still controls canister purge, EGR, and all the normal stuff it did from the factory. So as far as his OBD computer was concerned, all is fine!

You have to not make it too "lean" at idle (our first mistake), apparently the hotter combustion temps of burning lean WILL reduce unburnt fuel in the exhaust, but causes an increase in particulate matter (burnt fuel?) in the exhaust. He had to play with timing & idle VE to get the right mixture. He spent some time on a Mustang dyno that had a "4 gas analyzer." I don't know much more than that, HOWEVER there are guys in Europe running Megasquirt who have documented in more detail how to tune for emissions. I guess in Europe, you have to put your car on a dyno (they call them "Rolling Roads" over there) as part of your emissions test, and it costs something like $2000 to have a test performed!!

Look at the mega manual for some tuning advice for emissions, also.

-scott
Old 04-29-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

bah who needs emissions!

anyways anyone know where to get the flyback board kit from, ive done a little bit of looking but havent found it yet, just ones as options on assembled kits.
looks like im going to pike up Mr.Dudes kit, which doesnt have the flyback board on it.