PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What data logging software/cables to buy for LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What data logging software/cables to buy for LS1?

Sorry for the generic question but I'm looking for data logging which includes KR, O2 readings, fuel injector load, etc. I have never used anything w/ an LS1 but I have logged data on an LT1 I used to own (OBD-I). Do you guys have any recommendations? I do intend to keep the car for a very long time and I'm sure my mods will just continue through the years...heads next then rear then 402/408, etc. but I'm talking YEARS from now. Should I buy something w/ the option of upgrading to tuning later? I looked at autotap and it looks like you can buy the basic logging software and the USB cable and then upgrade to actual tuning software later. My computer has been mail tuned a few times including me sending the dyno graph to the tuner and him revising my tune. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

HPTuners.... LS1 Edit .... EFI Live
all have very good features...
I'm doing the HPTuners Route...and its been absolutely incredible so far..
even just fine tuning the Stock table for my soon to be modded vehicle has made a great improvement to the response of my car..and it has been incredibly easy....especially with all the great writeups that are out that work for every version of a tuning program..

also...HPTuners comes with the logging software...editing software and flashing software...I dont know about the others because I am not up to date with what they offer now as compared to a year ago...I just knew right off that I want the Hptuners stuff because I had seen it in action and was just amazed at how easy they made it for the end user...great support too...I sent an e-mail to ken at 2am...figuring he would reply in the morning...had a reply within a half hour!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our product contains everything you need and is used by the majority of the ls1tech.com tuners.

www.hptuners.com

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 04-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Restricted User

EFILive's Scanner is considered the premium LS1 Scan Tool.
EFILive's Tuning Tool is more advanced and fully integrated with our Scan Tool.
Together, with the FlashScan* interface cable, the EFILive Scan and Tune package is the most advanced PC based solution for tuning your LS1/LS6 PCM.

* FlashScan can also be used as a standalone data logger, no need to take your laptop in your car. Especially useful when racing.

EFILive web site
Compare EFILive Scan Tool features
Compare EFILive Tuning Tool features

But don't take my word for it - I am baised. Spend some time researching the various comments about each of the products available. And see what the users have to say about the products.

Or better still, download each software package and compare them for yourselves. Be wary of vendors that do not provide free evaluation versions of their software.

Regards
Paul
Old 04-28-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EFIliveV5
EFILive's Scanner is considered the premium LS1 Scan Tool.
EFILive's Tuning Tool is more advanced and fully integrated with our Scan Tool.
Together, with the FlashScan* interface cable, the EFILive Scan and Tune package is the most advanced PC based solution for tuning your LS1/LS6 PCM.
* FlashScan can also be used as a standalone data logger, no need to take your laptop in your car. Especially useful when racing.
Or better still, download each software package and compare them for yourselves. Be wary of vendors that do not provide free evaluation versions of their software.
Regards
Paul
Hey Paul,
The flashscan cable will log everything I need (no need for long runs...just dragstrip passes) and I can also tune w/ it if I buy the tuning software?
Thanks,
Geoff
Old 04-28-2005, 07:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Hey Paul,
Could you pm me the pricing on these different setups? The flashscan cable will log everything I need (no need for long runs...just dragstrip passes) and I can also tune w/ it if I buy the tuning software?
Thanks,
Geoff

http://store.efilive.com/
Old 04-28-2005, 07:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

HP Tuners is a US based company.

EFI Live is new zealand based or australia based?

In Australia, the majority of the shops use HP Tuners over their native EFI Live products and continue to purchase our product over EFI Lives. This holds true in the united states as well.

HP Tuners Scanner is also more user friendly.. If I recall correctly, EFI Lives scanner will only allow you to display one display type at a time. For example, you can only view your data in a guage display, or a chart format, or a table layout.. where as HP Tuners scanner you can view all of them at the same time. There is no question as to why the biggest tuners in the US have traded in their EFI Live products for HP Tuners. Trade-ins or "Trade Ups" that continue to come in each week.

Not to mention the fact that HP Tuners has time and time again released products WELL before EFI Live only to see EFI Live release the same exact products down the road. HP Tuners is also about to release LS2 products. When is EFI Lives forcasted release for LS2 support?

HP Tuners are the clear innovaters in this market.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 04-28-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-28-2005, 07:55 PM
FormerVendor

My Flashscan cable arrived to my doorstep in 2 days from Australia/New Zealand. The EFILive scanner is so user friendly you dont NEED to see all those windows at the same time, since you are in control of EVERYTHING that goes on in the scanner (Fully Customizable). All the information needed is there for you to see at a glance since you are in control of what is shown and what isnt
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Hey Paul,
The flashscan cable will log everything I need (no need for long runs...just dragstrip passes) and I can also tune w/ it if I buy the tuning software?
Thanks,
Geoff
The FlashScan cable can log up to 23 minutes of high speed data logging.
You can also pre-configure it to log a certain number of frames (i.e. a time limit). So you can set it for say 30 seconds and just before you stage, hit the start button. You don't have to worry about turning it off, it will stop automatically after 30 seconds.

Also it saves the VIN and any DTCs for each log file that you record. That means you can log different vehicles on each pass. If you are recording 30 second log files, you can store about 40 log files before the cable is full.

If you have your laptop in the pits, just upload the data to the laptop and start again for another 40 log files.

Regards
Paul
Old 04-28-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Efi lives adapter is also usb, So all the newer laptops run with it and dont need a converter that has been messing up computers and communication to the pcms.. I was always afraid of my serial port adapter causing issues and messing up a pcm. Even though i never had a problem, there are others that did. I fixed a couple of pcms for them.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magnus
HP Tuners is a US based company.

EFI Live is new zealand based or australia based?

In Australia, the majority of the shops use HP Tuners over their native EFI Live products and continue to purchase our product over EFI Lives. This holds true in the united states as well.

HP Tuners Scanner is also more user friendly.. If I recall correctly, EFI Lives scanner will only allow you to display one display type at a time. For example, you can only view your data in a guage display, or a chart format, or a table layout.. where as HP Tuners scanner you can view all of them at the same time. There is no question as to why the biggest tuners in the US have traded in their EFI Live products for HP Tuners. Trade-ins or "Trade Ups" that continue to come in each week.

Not to mention the fact that HP Tuners has time and time again released products WELL before EFI Live only to see EFI Live release the same exact products down the road. HP Tuners is also about to release LS2 products. When is EFI Lives forcasted release for LS2 support?

HP Tuners are the clear innovaters in this market.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Kieth isnt your major partner and software guy based in Australia - nothing wrong with that

I am one of those Australian tuning shop that started with LS1edit ( actually the first to own a workshop version in Australia ) then when HPtuners come out I ditched it for that but always kept using my EFILIVE scan tool V6 as it was miles better , now I have ditched the HP tuners tuning tool for EFILIVE Flashscan as well , so much more user friendly and customer friendly - free updates for LIFE.

LS1edit was the prodominate tuning tool , then the new play HPT took over - look out for Flashscan to become the new must have tool Not the first but undeniably the best .

I was looking to updated to your V2.0 as it looks a lot like what EFILIVE are offering but now I have Flashscan I cant see any advantage.

Data loogging without the laptop is such a great bonus as well as the O2 and thermocouple inputs as std.
Updates since the day I got the software has been great , we ask for a new feature and next update its there - cant ask for better service than that

BIG THUMBS UP FOR EFILIVE FLASHSCAN from this happy customer.

Great to see they are now a forum sponsor so we dont get chopped by HPT everytime flashscan is mentioned.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EFIliveV5
The FlashScan cable can log up to 23 minutes of high speed data logging.
You can also pre-configure it to log a certain number of frames (i.e. a time limit). So you can set it for say 30 seconds and just before you stage, hit the start button. You don't have to worry about turning it off, it will stop automatically after 30 seconds.

Also it saves the VIN and any DTCs for each log file that you record. That means you can log different vehicles on each pass. If you are recording 30 second log files, you can store about 40 log files before the cable is full.

If you have your laptop in the pits, just upload the data to the laptop and start again for another 40 log files.

Regards
Paul
wow didnt know it was so in depth...wonder if hptuners is considering doing the same with its usb release?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomcat
Kieth isnt your major partner and software guy based in Australia - nothing wrong with that

I am one of those Australian tuning shop that started with LS1edit ( actually the first to own a workshop version in Australia ) then when HPtuners come out I ditched it for that but always kept using my EFILIVE scan tool V6 as it was miles better , now I have ditched the HP tuners tuning tool for EFILIVE Flashscan as well , so much more user friendly and customer friendly - free updates for LIFE.

LS1edit was the prodominate tuning tool , then the new play HPT took over - look out for Flashscan to become the new must have tool Not the first but undeniably the best .

I was looking to updated to your V2.0 as it looks a lot like what EFILIVE are offering but now I have Flashscan I cant see any advantage.

Data loogging without the laptop is such a great bonus as well as the O2 and thermocouple inputs as std.
Updates since the day I got the software has been great , we ask for a new feature and next update its there - cant ask for better service than that

BIG THUMBS UP FOR EFILIVE FLASHSCAN from this happy customer.

Great to see they are now a forum sponsor so we dont get chopped by HPT everytime flashscan is mentioned.
if they had a good amount of v6 support & considered a pricing policy similar to hptuners i probably would consider it.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
if they had a good amount of v6 support & considered a pricing policy similar to hptuners i probably would consider it.

I think the pricing policy is better - free updates at the cost of VIN locking keeps everyone honest...
Old 04-28-2005, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS2win
I think the pricing policy is better - free updates at the cost of VIN locking keeps everyone honest...
I have to agree ,I dont know what its like in the US but here in Aust when they say a lot of tuners are using HPT they are refereing to all the guys who have bought a year locked license and are now going around charging customers for tunes - in effect they are ripping people off with their inexperience , at some point they will have the experience to tune a customers car satisfactory but until they have been doing it for a long time on their own car you could not call them "tuners"

Vin locked with cheap extra vins is a fair system where everyone can benifit.

Free upgrades are a real bonus , I still have a V4,V5 , V6 and V7 cable as well as flashscan and they are still supporting it - in fact the they have given me free updates for all the software downloadable by anyone from their site.

I was intially swayed to change by the downloadable demo that just needs the interface to unlock it - no crippleware here

Best thing any newby can do is download the software , play around with it and get a feel for how great the software is.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Magnus
HP Tuners Scanner is also more user friendly.. If I recall correctly, EFI Lives scanner will only allow you to display one display type at a time. For example, you can only view your data in a guage display, or a chart format, or a table layout.. where as HP Tuners scanner you can view all of them at the same time.
Amazing really, just a few days ago HPT were telling everyone how useless gauges are to use .

Seems you do recall wrong on the EFILive dash, charts and gauges can be displayed on the one screen. And guess what, they are totally customisable.....and the ones in HPT are???...NOT.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
Amazing really, just a few days ago HPT were telling everyone how useless gauges are to use .

Seems you do recall wrong on the EFILive dash, charts and gauges can be displayed on the one screen. And guess what, they are totally customisable.....and the ones in HPT are???...NOT.

Looks like someone better go back and check there own software.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

For those interested with a 98 or earlier car... for the time being forget EFILive. No support for us. They are planning it and supposedly we will get a beta version to test next month but until then EFILive Flashscan WILL NOT WORK ON ANY 98 OR EARLIER VEHICLES.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh

Exactly - EFILive allows you to have up to 3 totally customizeable dashboards at any one time, and up to 10 totally customizeable maps (which all update data in real time) active at any time. I don't think there's any way that you can't make efilive look or operate.

For an example of a dash that I whipped up for EFILive, take a look at these screen captures:

Quick Reply: What data logging software/cables to buy for LS1?