PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constatnt P0101 code, possible MAF failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Constatnt P0101 code, possible MAF failure?

Ive been getting this code about 1-2times a week. If I clear it, it comes back after a few days. So I know its a problem and not sure why though. I made changed to the VE table quite a lot but dont see how that could cause a problem.

Once I made a change to the MAF Calibration table according to that auto-maf spreadsheet and I analyzed the numbers and they were barely off if anything from the orignals. Do you think changing the MAF calibration can be the cause even the numbers are within .2 to .3 of the original stock value?

This morning I got the code while scanning (I scan on my way to work and back home everyday) and I felt a jerk in the car when the code kicked on. cleared it for now but Im starting to lean against the MAF is probably on its way out, just wanted to get your opinions. Lately when Im just on the highway cruising the car jerks pretty hard for no reason at random moments, and then usually thats when 2-3days later I get the P0101 code.

If it is the MAF, then trying to figure out if I should just replace it with a GM one, or do the aftermarket ones like the Granatelli offer. Not sure if its worth it or not on a stock cubed 346 with just a nice size cam in it (228/232 112lsa ".600 lift) BTW, im an HPtuners user.

Dixit
2002 Z06
Old 05-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Teching In

The code P0101 is cylinder #1 missfire. Check your plug, coil, and plug/coil wire.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ no.. P0101 is MAF

P0101 Mass Air Flow System Performance

try cleaning your MAF ... I've used electrical cleaner on a q-tip before (be careful).. i've heard of others using rubbing alcohol

Could be a sign of a failing MAF .. but it's cheap to clean it

do you have access to a scanner? maybe log the MAF output?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

Yea I was about to say a 0301 is a Cylinder1 misfire. 0101 is defintely a MAF malfunction code.

I use the HPtuners 1.6, have scanned over 65 times on it. Ive got tons of scans.

One one of the last times I did a scan and then went to calibrate the MAF usings the Auto-MAF spreadsheet, some of the values were WAY out of way after the recalibration, like some were off by a good 7-10. So that one I decided not to change on the VCM because it doesnt seem right.

I will try to clean the MAF and see what happens. How much is the new MAF? Would it be benefictial for me to get like the Granatelli MAF?

Dixit
Old 05-03-2005, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

When did it start throwing the P0101 ?

It's probably not your MAF unless it just recently started happening with no other changes (including weather warming up !)...

I made some small adjustments to idle and low-RPM VE and that did the trick to clear my intermittend P0101 up.

I first made a backup of my existing tune and then made these (conservative) changes in Primary and Secondary VE :
2000rpm column x 95%
1600rpm x 90%
1200rpm x 90%
800rpm x 85%
400rpm x 85%

...then started it up and let it learn idle... Runs much better in the low RPMs and no surging at cruise ! Haven't touched the idle airflow vs. ECT at all, but my tune does have a 1000-->875 idle speed (cold to warm).

I later tried reducing the 1600/1200/800/400 a little more by 5% but it started sputtering and dying at idle, so back to the original changes and it's running great.

Hope this helps...

EDIT : just read that you changed the MAF table. The reason you're throwing the P0101 is because the MAF table doesn't jive with the VE table.

Bad30th

Quick Reply: Constatnt P0101 code, possible MAF failure?