44.59%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Tuning Decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning Decision

Ok i don't know everyones preferences are, but a few of my friends love the HP TUners tuning tool and then they love the EFI live flashcan tool. I want some opinions, I know nothing about what programs are better and i have downloaded EFI live and i like that they have safety features built in and that the flashscan tool is awesome. I really don't know what to go with and I don't want to buy something and then wish I had bought the other one.

I'm debating between EFI Live V7 and HP Tuners
Old 05-12-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

i love the EFI live, but my friend keeps telling me about HP Tuners and how good or easy it is. I'm a beginner to the tuning and as long as i understand and eventually learn what I'm doing thats all that matters, and that it makes a good difference in the performance of my car.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Mmm, I can just see where this topic will end up
Old 05-12-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all editing software ever made, and used each one EXTENSIVELY so i feel i can give a fair oppinion and MY most Favorite of them all is Efilive.
Its not even a competition. Efilive is wayyy Head of the game in every aspect, Scanner, Tuning Package Layout, Read and write Speeds, Add on custom os packages, "that are free for everyone" and the Customer support is just increadible. I Was not happy about having to take a day sometimes 4 just to get a return email about a problem i would have with hptuners. Customers where not very happy with me when this would happen. Anytime i have a question or even want something put into efilive as a new cool addon, They post within an hour or so saying if it can be done and numorus times it was in for beta the next day... That is just awsome...
Old 05-12-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

appreciate it i will order it tomorrow, EFI LIVE IT IS!!! thanks I thought it was the best when i saw the demo they allowed you to download. preciate it yall.

I sent an email to sort out which product i actually need to get , i read all the products up there the one is 499 and the other is 599, i sent an email to EFI to sort out which one i should get for my car and situation. Again, thanks for making up my mind.

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 05-12-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

HP Tuners > *

2.0 is gonna rock everyone's panties.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by epic
HP Tuners > *

So we keep hearing!!, as yet how can we tell??.
My car will run a 10 one day too, until then......
Old 05-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wait4me
I have all editing software ever made, and used each one EXTENSIVELY so i feel i can give a fair oppinion and MY most Favorite of them all is Efilive.
Its not even a competition. Efilive is wayyy Head of the game in every aspect, Scanner, Tuning Package Layout, Read and write Speeds, Add on custom os packages, "that are free for everyone" and the Customer support is just increadible. I Was not happy about having to take a day sometimes 4 just to get a return email about a problem i would have with hptuners. Customers where not very happy with me when this would happen. Anytime i have a question or even want something put into efilive as a new cool addon, They post within an hour or so saying if it can be done and numorus times it was in for beta the next day... That is just awsome...
I had all the same issues until I took the plunge , downloaded the demo of EFILIVE and within 15mins I decided to but it as well , now thats all I use.

Support Is great , and I now no longer have to pay for updates every 6 months as with EFILIVE they are all free.

I was totally blown away with the data logging capabilies EFILIVE has compared to what I was used to with the HPT stuff , and I am just coming to grips with how customisable it is ,

Flashscan ROCKS
Old 05-13-2005, 01:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by epic
HP Tuners > *

We have been hearing this for how long?

I was told 2.0 was coming very soon in February.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

I have all three packages also. I exclusively use Live for all scanning and tuning. My buddy just sold his Tuners cable to buy Live. The most attractive features about EFILIVE are to many to list but i will start

Demo version (just so i can be informaed about the package and dont have to ask questions and get biased opinions from people that only have had one package)

Free updates including custom Os's (2-3 bar SD tuning, valet mode, lean cruise and the list goes on)

Frequent and informed updates (this means the most to me). 2.0 was supposed to be out in Feb it is now damn near June and all the people that were roped into buying it when they wanted to wait wouldve gotten screwed if they didnt extend the update policy. If Live is going to be a week late we are informed and dont mind waiting, hell updates are free

Scanner flexibilty. Custom everything. Anything your heart desires as opposed to something hardcoded and unchangeable. Get rid of all your excel sheets floating around because chances are it can be done with efilive

Ease of use. The editor is VERY easy to use and navigate.

Black box logging. They pioneered this feature in the LS1 market.

A compare feature. Even though its "a text box" it is there and its functional. It shows both files and shows the difference between the two listing ALL the tables that are different between the two cals. The editor even notes what tables were changed and how they were changed.

History tab. The editor keeps track of ALL changed made to the cal file. It lists them by date and time and what was performed. Easy to go back and track modifications made to the file throughout your tuning experience

Neat script feature (we know who to thank for that ) If you are tuning your buddies you can write a simple and easy script that will do anything to the bin file.

eg Turn off all DTC's with this script feature in seconds rather than the minutes it took to search through of them and disable them. That right there is worth its weight in gold....
Old 05-13-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going to go with EFI Live....i don't want this thread going anywhere that people get to arguing...I can't wait to see what HP Tuners 2.0 will be though.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
A compare feature. Even though its "a text box" it is there and its functional. It shows both files and shows the difference between the two listing ALL the tables that are different between the two cals.
Hey check the manual HumpinSS (page 18), I use the compare feature all the time.
You can compare in 3D table view, data value view etc, the one you are talking about lists all differences.
Just looking at the program now, look under the 'view' menu for the compare options.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
Hey check the manual HumpinSS (page 18), I use the compare feature all the time.
You can compare in 3D table view, data value view etc, the one you are talking about lists all differences.
Just looking at the program now, look under the 'view' menu for the compare options.

I know, that dig was for a person who will remain nameless hence the quotes around text box. I guess I couldve worded it a little better
Old 05-13-2005, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
I know, that dig was for a person who will remain nameless hence the quotes around text box. I guess I couldve worded it a little better
Sorry....
Old 05-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
So we keep hearing!!, as yet how can we tell??.
My car will run a 10 one day too, until then......
I co-sign that
Old 05-13-2005, 10:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only used hptuners and have been happy with it for the most part but efi lives scanner does look much better and does have some features I'd love to see in hptuners...their free updates policy is also a plus...if I had the choice now instead of a year ago it really wouldve been a toss up.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Teching In

For the LS1/6 and soon the LS2/7 powertrain, there is no comparision. Now if I had a V6, or a Mustang, or maybe a 1958 Edsel, there's probablly a better program out there. But, I have an LS1, and EFILive does allI need and more!

MRK

BTW: Poll shows EFILive V6, it's V7 now!

Last edited by emarkay; 05-13-2005 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add BTW:
Old 05-13-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

I own HPTuners and like it...but if I were buying today it would be EFI Live. I think HP Tuners will please us with 2.0, but EFI Live is the better choice right now IMO. Too bad EFI Live doesnt offer a trade in program like HP Tuners...I could trade in my HP Tuners for an EFI Live discount
Old 05-14-2005, 02:29 AM
Launching!

I use EFILive and am NOTHING but happy. It just blows me away, by far the best mod I've done so far.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

I have just started using the EFI Live V.7.2 and I am extremely happy with it. It seems like it is going to be a very powerful tuning tool in the right hands.