Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warm start idle

Old 05-13-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default warm start idle

I've done the search already and found some info, but still need a little more

my truck starts perfect in the morning, does not have a problem when stoping at a light, but for some reason when i go in to the circle k, spend 10 minutes there, get back out and start the truck, it wont ever start on the first time, it will hunt for idle and die,

i have the tr220, i have done the tb setscrew and have my counts at 40 to 50 at idle, after that, i did move up my raf table, should i leave it at stock, or was adjusting it up ok? i'm trying for a 675 to 700 idle

i'm guessing the VE table is what i need to mess with? what is a good method to use? percent on the first 3 colums, decrease the values a few points? any tips,

thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

raf? do you mean MAF or something else?

only adjust the MAF table if you know it is off.......you should really have a wide band O2 to stick in for air/fuel and tune the VE table (with the MAF unpluged and the computer set to stay in open loop).....once you get that, you can plug the MAF back in (but stay in open loop) and see how much the MAF changes the air/fuel......

you might try pulling 5% out of the cranking VE table and see if that helps.....if it gets better (or no worse), take another 5% out....keep going till either it won't crank right or you have pulled 20% out.........if you reach 20% and it didn't get any better....set it back to stock and move on to the standard VE table.....

the reason I think it is the cranking VE is because it only happens when you are cranking.....as you said, once you are up and running you never have problems.....
Old 05-13-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long does the cranking VE get referenced on startup? I'm under the impression that as soon as the motor is running, the Primary takes control. If you have not done any VE tuning whatsoever, there's a very good chance that your hot start problems are related to it, especially since you've cammed it. If you do not have a wideband, check out your trims around the idle area and that will clue you in on what direction to take it!

To check your RAFs, log both your LTITs and if they are close to zero, within .1 lb/min, then those are fine.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by txhorns281
How long does the cranking VE get referenced on startup? I'm under the impression that as soon as the motor is running, the Primary takes control. If you have not done any VE tuning whatsoever, there's a very good chance that your hot start problems are related to it, especially since you've cammed it. If you do not have a wideband, check out your trims around the idle area and that will clue you in on what direction to take it!

To check your RAFs, log both your LTITs and if they are close to zero, within .1 lb/min, then those are fine.

I'm not sure how long the cranking VE is watched but since he said he is having a hard time cranking I figured I would mention to start there.

I agree......with a cam it's a no brainer that his primary VE needs some work....just have to start somewhere...

Search this Thread