PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Electrical Problems Discovered and Confronted. Still need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mysterious Electrical Problems Discovered and Confronted. Still need help.

I've had a small Power Steering leak for about a year now. I thought the problem was resolved when I removed the PS cooler and inserted a bipass pipe.

Recently it got really bad. Was spraying down in my pulleys and going all over my engine bay. First it got into my ECT Sensor.
Replaced ECT.
Then I started noticing Lean bank 1 and Low Voltage in Bank 1 Sensor 1.
131 - HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1

Then just this past weekend while I was on Vacation my ALternator blew out.

Being kinda tight on cash that week. I opted to change the alternator myself. I discovered a Disgusting engine bay underneath. The ALternator was soaked in Power Steering fluid. The Wires for my O2 Harness that plugs into my O2 sensor were very deteriated. The rubber was so eaten away it wiped off the metal wire with my fingers.

I removed all the rubber coating that was ruined and used that liquid rubber to make new coatings for them.. I also took apart the harness plug and cleaned each plug and also cleaned the plug on the o2 sensor extension side that plugs into it.

I also discovered that Cylinder 1 was coated on the plug wire and the plug was rotted. SO I replaced it with another irridium plug and it seemed to significantly minimize the misfiring. Yet the car is still running very pour. I'm also noticing my Oil Pressure at times gets extremely high.. like past 80.

I'm Seriously considering rebuilding my entire WireHarness with all new wires on the driver side..

The car is a 98 so a lot of these parts are getting old.

I know I'm going to need to change the plugs and wires now.. So Would it make sense to get the coil pack relocation kit and buy like MSD coil packs. Then buy new plugs and wires as well.

Also I think at first I'm still just gonna try making a whole new wire harness just for the Oxygen Sensor first. To see how much that fixes.

I still need to trouble shoot the power steering leak too. Which I guess I need to start with replacing all the hoses.

The Engine bay is much cleaner after going through 4 bottles of Degreaser.

I don't know what else to trouble shoot to attack the misfires and correct the issues at hand.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any Input?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:11 PM
wrencher

If you tight on money just keep it simple. Get some brake cleaner & clean all that fluid from the affected underhood areas. Clean the power steering pump & lines up well. Make sure the cleaner dries up before starting the car.
Put it up on jack stands if you have to. Have a buddy fire it up w/ you watch for the leak on the freshly cleaned engine bay. See if you can determain where it's comming from. Check the pump real well & its shaft seal. Then repair the leak & do plugs & wires.
The O2 is prolly fried replace it. Then clean everything well. The wires are prolly fine, as long as the insulation stays on leave them alone.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

THE o2 Sesnors are brand new not even 2 weeks yet. I just replaced them. You think their still fried.?