Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW MAF calibration Worksheet

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 04:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default NEW MAF calibration Worksheet

I got tired of trying to make the other worksheet work...
I'm sorry..its just not accurate...I've tried 3 different MAF's with the other worksheet..and none were even close
so my sheet uses MAF HZ and LTFT

it kind of works like doing LTFT for speed density...but it gives you a way to correct the MAF HZ...and it only took me 3 logs to get my MAF properly recalilbrated...obviously if you are further off it may take a few more times to get it calibrated...but its a rinse lather repeat method that has worked on both MAF's I used for testing
something else I do is set the LTFT learn % to 1%...it allows for a more fine accuracy on LTFT's
Soundengineer MAF Worksheet

It would be a mighty fine Idea to make this a sticky

Last edited by soundengineer; 06-02-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got asked for a password to unprotect the sheet to use it.thoughts?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:41 AM
8 Second Club

sorry try it again...forgot to unprotect some cells on the first page....
re download it...
I made it that way so you couldnt mess up the formulas by accidentally pasting stuff in the wrong cells..
and so I woulnt mess things up when working things out on it..LOL
Old 05-28-2005, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your instructions fail to mention the essential preliminary step of tuning the VE table with the MAF sensor disabled. This could badly mislead beginners. Otherwise, I think this new tool will be very helpful.

-Gary
Old 05-28-2005, 10:45 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Your instructions fail to mention the essential preliminary step of tuning the VE table with the MAF sensor disabled. This could badly mislead beginners. Otherwise, I think this new tool will be very helpful.

-Gary
I will add that right now and re-post teh file...it should be corrected in a matter of minutes
Old 05-28-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I down loaded it ,How do I open it?This is where I lack computer skills

Scott
Old 05-28-2005, 01:33 PM
8 Second Club

you need to use excel to open the file
or any program that can use an excel spreadsheet...

I believe there is a free program called Star Office(I think it will do it) that you could get for free that will allow you to open the file if you dont have excel

http://www.sun.com/software/star/sta...index.xml#eval

I'm sure there are a few other free programs that will do it too...
Old 05-28-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Why not use STFT?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:54 PM
8 Second Club

I suppose you could...but I havent tried that in my spreadsheet....
one of the problems I could see is that it might be really inconsistent...
with Learned fuel trims you know that it has already figured out what it needs to do...so you can just take those already steady #'s and get a better average in my opinion
Old 05-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Dude You Rule! I haven't tried your spreadsheet yet but this is exactly what I was looking for in an earlier post I made. I just don't know enough about excel to pull it off.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/322212-do-any-these-maf-calculators-work-off-ltft-differences.html

Again Thanks Man!
Old 05-28-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I suppose you could...but I havent tried that in my spreadsheet....
one of the problems I could see is that it might be really inconsistent...
with Learned fuel trims you know that it has already figured out what it needs to do...so you can just take those already steady #'s and get a better average in my opinion
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Launching!

I've done about 3 logs or so and I still seem to be a little positive like +1-2 range, but definitely a lot closer than I got with the other MAF calibration methods.

Could you setup a variable for desired fuel trim and that would be used as the target LTFT for the calculations instead of 0? I personally would like to see a -1 - -3 because one of the main points in tuning VE is to not be positive or it will mess up the AFR at WOT so I assume same goes for running MAF. Why shoot for dead 0 when any little variation in conditions, weather, or acts or god will make it go to the + side again. IMO

Oh almost forgot to ask if disabling the PE or DFCO per your instructions would cause my TCS to always be off? No DTC errors of any kind reported. Cannot turn it on with the TCS switch either. It’s cool I don’t have to remember to turn it off now, but I know the PCM is reacting to something and that something can't be a good thing.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Everytime I go to open it. It tells me that its not allowing macros to run because my settings might be too high. I just close it out. Will it still work like that??

thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 08:01 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
Everytime I go to open it. It tells me that its not allowing macros to run because my settings might be too high. I just close it out. Will it still work like that??

thanks
yes you need to set security settings for the macros to low...
its a comon thing with excel and anything that does calculations
Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by God Forgives I Dont
I've done about 3 logs or so and I still seem to be a little positive like +1-2 range, but definitely a lot closer than I got with the other MAF calibration methods.

Could you setup a variable for desired fuel trim and that would be used as the target LTFT for the calculations instead of 0? I personally would like to see a -1 - -3 because one of the main points in tuning VE is to not be positive or it will mess up the AFR at WOT so I assume same goes for running MAF. Why shoot for dead 0 when any little variation in conditions, weather, or acts or god will make it go to the + side again. IMO

Oh almost forgot to ask if disabling the PE or DFCO per your instructions would cause my TCS to always be off? No DTC errors of any kind reported. Cannot turn it on with the TCS switch either. It’s cool I don’t have to remember to turn it off now, but I know the PCM is reacting to something and that something can't be a good thing.

Thanks!

you can always go back and add a little bit per cell if you want...like add .5% per cell until you get it where you want it...
and remember...your computer is learning what it need to be 0...so + or - a few doesnt matter when you drive around for a day or two.... and if you do a pass at the track...its learned all the stuff it needs to be right dead on again anyways... and besides...even if you go -2 its still going to be +2 or +4 on some days depending on weather...so it will learn that out again ...
LTFT's are a constant learning process...thats why we are trying to tune in everything on the same day that has been a steady day all day long...to get it as close as possible so it will not have to learn as uch from day to day

and disabling your PE and DFCO shouldnt have anything to do with TCS/ASR(Traction ControlSystem/Anti Slip Regulation)
its not even related to it in any way
might see if maybe just the little led inside the switch is just not working correctly...if you press it and hold it for a second does your dash show a tcs or asr light??
Old 06-02-2005, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

TCS will disable itself when the MAF reading fails the speed density sanity check (which is mostly based on MAP/TPS).

The light on the dash will illuminate that TCS is off, pushing the button doesn't turn it off/on.

Car defaults to speed density mode and may feel down on power, sometimes accompanied by harsh/crappy A4 shifts if you have an A4.

Sometimes this behavior is accompanied by P0101 (MAF), P0121 (TPS) or a MAP SES code.

This behavior can be compounded by too big a hole drilled in the TB blade. (More air, lower TPS for given amount of air, higher MAF rate).

Ask me how I know.

Anyone know more about this ? I have posted this info in a couple of threads and would like to know more...

Cheers,
Bad30th
Old 06-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

I just tried this sheet for grins. Marcin's (redhardsupra) Excel function had worked quite well for me and I wanted to compare. I tried 3 different scans, 2 cruise to work variety and one WOT dyno run. On average there's a 1% difference in resulting table values. Both are excellent pieces of work!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:44 PM
8 Second Club

I just added a column on the temporary paste page to average bank 1 and bank 2 LTFT's
figured that makes a little more sense to me...
Old 06-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I just added a column on the temporary paste page to average bank 1 and bank 2 LTFT's
figured that makes a little more sense to me...

I was just fixing to post asking you to setup that B1 and B2 averaging! You’re a mind reader.

As for my TCS I'm still working on that problem. It did this exact same thing to me once before and it took forever for me to find the problem. It finally tripped a Throttle position DTC error after like 2 months of just running like crap and TCS turned off most of the time. Last time it turned out that some connector or vacuum tube was partially disconnected on my MAP sensor on the far back of the intake and the PCM gave TPS error because the MAP was lower than expected do to the low MAP.
I haven't checked it yet, but judging on how it was acting today it is most likely coming loose again.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Oh hey can you possibly make it automatically delete any data line that has a LTFT that falls either below -25 or above +25 because those are the communication Blips we get from the tuning software because the PCM can only compensate for a -25 to +25 values.

Unless I'm mistaken that is.

Look in default sample that is in your new MAF sheet you will see right here "2629 -100 -100 -100”. That’s not valid and will throw off the results.

Just a thought and I don't clam to be "The Man" so please correct me if I'm wrong in my assumptions above.

Quick Reply: NEW MAF calibration Worksheet