PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin turbo, megasuirt, hptuners, + wideband

Old 05-31-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo, megasuirt, hptuners, + wideband

Hi i am getting ready to put everything together since i paid my motor off and am ready to have my charge pipes fabbed up since i also received my tubular k member. As the topic states i am running a twin turbo setup (CAS for an Fbody) and plan to use megasquirt for my fueling and hptuners for my timing needs(i already own Hptuners for my car). I don't want to use narrowband o2's if at all possible.

My main question is this: since i have a twin turbo setup should i get 2 widebands? I want the megasquirt to set my AFR using input from a wideband o2. Should i stick with narrow band o2's as well as a wideband? I am planning to be on the road as early as late august/mid september time frame. I have plenty of time i just don't know what's the best way of doing things.

Timing with Hptuners: Am i going to accurately set my timing based on boost levels or will i have to pull some trickery to retard my timing as boost rises? Should i upgrade to v2.0 with a 3 bar MAP or are there other ways to tune in timing for boost? Like i said i won't be on the road for a few months and hopefully HP Tuners would have released their software by then.

I still want to use MS because of the ease of use, compatibility with low z injectors, and also i can use a wideband to set my AFR.

What are your opinions?

Greg
Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

You've got alot of wiring to do.

The MS is a great setup, but I think that it may be overcomplicating the setup.

My recommendation would be:
Get a big high impedence injector: RC Engineering 75 lbers, or Mototron 60's and crank the fuel pressure.
Run the 3 bar map and tune with HP
Get 1 wideband and connect to 1 bank. You can swap to the other to check for proper simliarity.

Unless you plan on running 1200 HP (note: I have never gotten a CAS TT above 700ish) then the above will work fine.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NoGo
You've got alot of wiring to do.

The MS is a great setup, but I think that it may be overcomplicating the setup.

My recommendation would be:
Get a big high impedence injector: RC Engineering 75 lbers, or Mototron 60's and crank the fuel pressure.
Run the 3 bar map and tune with HP
Get 1 wideband and connect to 1 bank. You can swap to the other to check for proper simliarity.

Unless you plan on running 1200 HP (note: I have never gotten a CAS TT above 700ish) then the above will work fine.
The wiring is not really a problem as i have plenty of time and will adhere to any advice/methods that are necessary.

I don't want to run a big injector high z injector because i fear the car will run poorly at low throttle positions. The cost of a Megasquirt is about the cost of an impedance matcher.

If i could afford it i would go with BS3 but there's no way right now.

Oh this kit is not a regular CAS TT, i upgraded the turbos, IC, and will be upgrading the downpipes + WG system.

Thanks for the opinion. Anyone else? Maybe some MS users?

Greg
Old 09-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Where do i find more information on a megasquirt ?

I have a 1998 PCM and after ALOT of tuning managed to get 826 RWHP, on regular fuel with a Alcy injection kit.
I have a "dream" to control A/F way better then guessing MAF flow, MAF is maxing out @ 3000 RPM.

So any hint on where to get more info on MS would be nice, i tried search on forum and Google and could not find any info ??

TIA

Rune
Old 09-15-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here you go man, http://www.msefi.com/ .

I've been looking into this a little bit for a friend of mine. Hopefully HPT 2.0 will have something that eliminates the need for it. The more wiring, the harder it is to make it look clean.

BTW, very cool car.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:52 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
Here you go man, http://www.msefi.com/ .

I've been looking into this a little bit for a friend of mine. Hopefully HPT 2.0 will have something that eliminates the need for it. The more wiring, the harder it is to make it look clean.

BTW, very cool car.
what do you have in mind?

Chris...
Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I probably should have done a little more research before I made my above comment since I'm not familiar with the 2bar and 3bar features (if they're available?) in HPT. After doing some additional research on the megasquirt, it doesn't look like much is done differently through their software than what HPT uses. Chris, can you give me a link to any additional info on it?

Rune, here's another site with megasquirt info.
http://www.megasquirt.info/
Old 09-16-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

HPTuners does not support 98's with the 2bar and 3 bar support as far as i know. Megasquirt requires two connections from the cars computer (TPS + TACH) and appears very simple to use. I do not have the car together yet but it looks like it is going to make life a lot easier. Plus i still have my HPtuners to play with timing and all of that stuff.

Greg
Old 09-16-2005, 05:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
I probably should have done a little more research before I made my above comment since I'm not familiar with the 2bar and 3bar features (if they're available?) in HPT. After doing some additional research on the megasquirt, it doesn't look like much is done differently through their software than what HPT uses. Chris, can you give me a link to any additional info on it?

Rune, here's another site with megasquirt info.
http://www.megasquirt.info/

Thanks for the info and links, seems like i have to go this route, since HPT does not support 2 bar or 3 bar SD on the 1998 PCM ?
wonder why ? is the 1998 PCM less powerful or has less memory ?

So by using MS, my PCM will still think it controls the injectors, and if all
i have to tap into is the TAC and TPS, should be fairly easy to leave current injector harness and make a new harness from injectors to MS +
MS use MAP sensor and 02 Wide band sensor to control A/F ?

Rune
Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Banned

You might want to try doing a search on this board. Ryan k. is running a TTi kit on a 98 with 11 or 12 lbs and is running the megasquirt setup. It is pretty straight forward setup for 98's.

Nate

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin turbo, megasuirt, hptuners, + wideband