Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo Tune

Is The Diablo Tunner Any Good On A Stock Car? My Friend Has A Brand New One For $200. I Searched And Searched But Could Not Find The Results I Want And now The Search Button Is Broken! Someone Give Some Pros And Cons Please!!

Last edited by mustgofasster; 06-02-2005 at 07:20 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 06-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Is It That Bad??
Old 06-03-2005, 09:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you need to wait sometimes for longer than an hour and 43 minutes to get a reply...
I dont have an exact answer for you...
but I know some people that have had descent success with a diablo tune on a stock vehicle...
A real tune with an experienced tuner IMO is still going to be Better than a canned Diablo tune
Old 06-03-2005, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

I bought one to begine with & was happy. If your car is an auto it should be worth it. It deletes Torque Management, adds some timing, allows you to change the shift points & frimness, & do some rough timing & fuel tweaking. But you'll have to pay $75 (I think) to get it reflashed for your car. And then $100 if you want any custom tunes. (see James @ RunninWithTheDevil) So for that price you might want to buy a new one.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mustgofasster
Is The Diablo Tunner Any Good On A Stock Car? My Friend Has A Brand New One For $200. I Searched And Searched But Could Not Find The Results I Want And now The Search Button Is Broken! Someone Give Some Pros And Cons Please!!
If you have the ability to scan the results of your tune it's worth a shot. FWIW, a coworker with a custom mail order Predator tune for his C5 scanned with my HP Tuners and found nasty non WOT knock retard across even low RPM's. He's been driving it this way for almost a year. With HP Tuners I was able to show it to him what tables were adjusted and get him back to stock with tranny mods until he figures out what he wants to do engine-wise.

As a former PPIII owner, I saw the value of custom tuning with a PC based package in the first hour. I bought the 98 PPIII because I feared trashing my PCM with an uninformed modification. Completely unfounded fear; it's all pretty logical, you just need patience and a willingness to learn. The people in these forums are fantastic.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Thanks Guys!!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

If it's brand new and he never used it you shouldn't need it reflashed then.
I bought mine used off this forum and paid to get it reflashed and bought into the custom tuning from James. IMO $100 is nothing to pay for custom tuning, most places charge more than that and charge every time you want something changed.The only downside to the Predator is no data logging.
I guess it all depends on how crazy you plan to go with mods and how much time and money you want to spend to tune your car. For me I'm not going nuts and like being able to just tell someone here's what I need a tune for/changed and have them do it. Dosen't matter if you use the Predator, HP Tuners, LS1 Edit, etc..you still need to either put the car on a dyno w/ a wideband o2 or EGT, something to verify your AF Ratio.
Good tuning comes from a good tuner not the tool he uses.

I guess I like doing things as inexpensively as possible. I've learned from past experiences with two 3rd gens and a 4th generation Corvette. I wish I had half the $ I pissed away on modding those cars that are now long gone. I guess that's how you learn though.

Last edited by SLPSS01; 06-04-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Diablo works best on a stock motor. I have one and it was good until I changed the cam and a few other things. Now it's no help at all. I even tried some custom tunes from Diablo (Johan I think was his name) and they were the worst. I don't know how that guy keeps his job over there. When I called them and told them about the bad tunes they were sending me they agreed they really aren't any good at it and sent me a full refund, $120. Good luck with yours. I'm looking at maybe investing in EFILive. Should have spent the money on something like that in the first place.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Diablow R suck for LS1's... I had it and would not ever get it again. If you just want it to read and clear DTC's then cool, but if you want to accomplish something with a tune then invest in HP Tuners.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

i bought a predator that i can get a tune via the internet just told him my mods downloaded the tune already in the car he adjusted it for my magic stick changed injectors and a few other things he sent me the tune back i downloaded it from my home computer to the tuner and plugged it in the car it idles at 900 rpm very easy alot better than having to drive 3 hrs for a ls1 edit tune.

i will still have it ran on the dyno to check my a/f