Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still having some odd idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default still having some odd idle issues

well when im out driving (well my dad is driving) when he lets off the gas the rpms are still hanging up a little bit. when he puts the clutch in its not to bad they go down ok. the ve still needs more adjustment, but what kind of changes should i make to the throttle cracker to help this if the ve tuning wont fix it?

also, sometimes the rpms are dipping down. i havnet redone the raf tables yet after trying to dial in the ve table. could this be a source of the problem? im wondering if maybe this could cause the "cruise controll" while driving as well when you let off the gas.

sound like i need more ve and raf tuning, or should i look elsewhere? and if so where should i be looking at? thanks guys
Old 06-04-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have your iac counts around 30 and your iac vs effective area right, you shouldn't have those problems. But if you are, you can try zeroing out your throttle cracker and throttle follower delay tables. I zeroed out my throttle cracker table because i didn't want to wait for the rpms to drop between shifts and the throttle follower so it didn't take so long to rev down. It's a little harder to drive smoothly when shifting, but i like it better this way.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

so the lower i go with these numbers the faster it recovers to idle speed. so i can slowly decrease it to get it where i want?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, after my cam and headers i had to adjust the tb set screw over a turn to get my IAC counts down from 120 or so to 30.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i have mine right at about 40 right now on warm idle. i have read 30-50 is good. ill check after another day of logging tomorrow. thanks for the fast replies
Old 06-05-2005, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you get the counts where you want them at idle, and it still seems to cruise off throttle, you can go into the throttle cracker table and reduce the value of throttle cracker at the speed and RPM you are experiencing the cruise effect. The 2000 M6 table has a value of 3.0 from 24 MPH and up at 1600-2200 RPM's. I would pull it down to 1.5 and give it a try. Table is under idle>idle airflow>Throttle cracker-Airflow vs. RPM vs. MPH. This table is active when TPS is 0% and clutch is engaged (pedal out).
Old 06-05-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cool Z
After you get the counts where you want them at idle, and it still seems to cruise off throttle, you can go into the throttle cracker table and reduce the value of throttle cracker at the speed and RPM you are experiencing the cruise effect. The 2000 M6 table has a value of 3.0 from 24 MPH and up at 1600-2200 RPM's. I would pull it down to 1.5 and give it a try. Table is under idle>idle airflow>Throttle cracker-Airflow vs. RPM vs. MPH. This table is active when TPS is 0% and clutch is engaged (pedal out).
yeah i did that this morning actually lol, saw that 3.0 and went to 1.5, most of the cruise it was noticed in those areas, ill give that a shot.

also, at light throttle on take off sometimes the motor will bog, i assume that this has to do with the idle settings, need to get it right still??

here is my process i am thinking about

-tune the VE
-set the set screw for good iac counts
-redo the effective area table
-redo the raf table
-then go from there on the throttle cracker

hows that sound ?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00

-tune the VE
-set the set screw for good iac counts
-redo the effective area table
-redo the raf table
-then go from there on the throttle cracker

hows that sound ?
Sounds good to me. If your idle was real bad so it was hard to drive I would say do the set screw first, but it sounds like it's idling fine already.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

o yeah it idles great, just have a little problem here and there, i went from an odd ball injector table (the stock rail pressure rating) to actually checking my rail pressue and doing the table like that. after that it went out of wack. im sure the VE has to do with it, but i wanted to have the RIGHT ifr table in there, that other one was just to keep me from having issues with bolt ons and large injectors. i am going to try and mess iwht the set screw now

is there some kind of learn time because sometimes it ill read 60 after i put a tune in, then after about 10 min and resetting the trims and running it on and off a few times, it seems to run better lol and the iac goes to ~45
Old 06-05-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

It could just be that the engine has cooled enough that it's trying to idle higher (look at the idle speed vs ect table). So it'll open the IAC more so it can idle at a higher rpm, and as it warms up the idle drops back to normal and so do the IAC counts.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok ive got the counts down to 25 with 0.63V i think that is pretty good. im gonna redo my table for the effective area and once ve is done getting tuned im gonna try to take care of the raf.

just goes to show how much the ve table being off could effect things