PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing caused by transient fueling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing caused by transient fueling?

I finally got my knock sensors desensitized and the false KR issue is gone. In scanning this I decided to log misfires for each cylinder, something I haven't done since getting the car. Timing tables stock, knock learn was in the .5 range and increasing towards 1. Nice to see. The missing surprised me. I throw no codes, but there are misfires across most cylinders, usually in the 2000-2300 RPM range doing about 65-80 with light to no throttle. No missing at idle or mashing the gas. There were about 300 lines in Excel with missing out of a 10,000 line scan. Timing looks OK. I logged DynCyl air and MAP too.

My guess is it's been doing this for some time and I've never known. Because it's light throttle and I have done a VE/MAF tune, maybe a spot in the VE table needs more fuel? Any other thoughts? All I have is a Blackwing and Borla exhaust, bone stock otherwise. Car is strong, had it dyno'd 2 weeks ago and nice numbers for a stock 98 A4 with 70K miles.

I don't have a web site, but will gladly send Excel sheet. I've highlighted all rows with missing.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go back and look at your log. Look at the o2 voltages at the throttle transients and see if they go lean (lower voltage) when it happens.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P Mack
Go back and look at your log. Look at the o2 voltages at the throttle transients and see if they go lean (lower voltage) when it happens.
Ah, if only I logged them this scan. Not enough PID's left; I wanted to focus on knock, misfires, spark, etc. at WOT where the KR was. But it sounds like I may be thinking along the right lines, i.e. air/fuel? What I can do is look at other scans pre-desensitizing and see if a pattern like this exists.

Another_User and JimmyBlue--your knock sensor posts helped me immensely..thank you.