Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Won't Reset

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question PCM Won't Reset

For some reason my PCM will no longer reset by pulling the 2 fuses (PCM IGN & PCM BAT). I've done it this way dozens of times before. For some reason now when I pull the two fuses with the ignition in the on position all electrical power stays on... dash stays lit and everything . I had to disconnect the battery to do the reset.

Can anyone shed any light as to why this would happen? I have no idea...
Old 06-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Dam... guess you are all as stumped as I am!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i usually remove power- cable for a while for resets.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Huh... power cable? Do you mean the neg battery cable?

If so yea, obviously that works. But I still don't understand how the hell the electrical system stays active with no fuses in the PCM BAT & PCM IGN slots? It NEVER did this before. Concerns me because what if for some reason I get a short in the elec system. Seems to me the fuses aren't going to do their job now.

I did have some HP Tunning done recently, not sure if this has anything to do with it or not.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you rewired the car, by pulling the fuses it should kill the power to the PCM ...

Not sure about all the gauges and such though... I never paid attention to mine when I would clear it that way... I just pulled the fuses, waited 10 seconds, then turned the key on and off a few times for good measure....

HPT can't rewire the car to bypass the fuses it'd have nothing to do with this...

And again unless you rewired the car recently the fuses should be functioning properly....

Try starting the car w/those fuses out... it'll crank and crank... but not start... that'll tell you that the car can't talk to the PCM w/the fuses removed
Old 06-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by horist
Try starting the car w/those fuses out... it'll crank and crank... but not start... that'll tell you that the car can't talk to the PCM w/the fuses removed
I'll try. But I could've sworn that in the past when I pulled the fuses, all power was lost. When I'd go back into the car to put the ignition in the off position, prior to putting the fuses back in place, the gauge cluster wasn't lit. Thanks for the reply...