Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

security light stays on with vats disabled

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security light stays on with vats disabled

I recently got tired of trying to fix other tuners mistakes so I went back to the dealership and reflashed the updated tune from GM based on vin. I disabled vats and started tuning. Now I have the security light on all the time anyone have any clue on this even with vats disabled.
thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why disable the VATS? I've always wondered why people, other than those transplanting into a hotrod/hybrid disable their VATS.

PS, how much did the dealer charge you to reflash it?

David
Old 06-08-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Why disable the VATS? I've always wondered why people, other than those transplanting into a hotrod/hybrid disable their VATS.

PS, how much did the dealer charge you to reflash it?

David
The truck wont start with vats enabled and an aftermarket cam.
The reflash was free nothin like hook ups.
Once I get my tune down Im gonna reenable vats, something about the dealer can reconfigure it to to the adjustments

So anyone have an idea of why the security light is always on with vats disabled?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Default Same Problem

I've not run into this problem before but would like finger it out.I've narrowed it down and would like more info and advice.I have a customer fixing a 2000 5.3 chevy 4x4 that was submerged partially,not sure to what extent,you can't tell by looking at the truck,no interior damage.He couldn't start the truck without it immediatly dying,we both figured it was the VATS.I deleted VATS and truck started right up.I left and he called,light is on constant but truck starts runs fine.I think it is either a bad VATS module or bad ignition.My question is,Where is the VATS module?Is it part of the Body Control Module?If it is just a separate relay type module then we can just disconnect it.I didn't have either of my scanners with me at the time so I don't know what the security codes are coming up as.I'm going over there to check it out again tomorrow morning.Any advice or suggestion would help.I don't consider it my problem really cause we are sure it is shorted/water related,but i'd like to help out.

Oh yeah,i've read that if there is a fault with the key then it won't start,but if the key is okay and it reads a fault after the engine starts then that is the reason for security light on but no starting problems,because it detected it AFTER the engine was started which is why i am assuming a bad VATS module.Really need to location though.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn Im suprised someone dusted this thread off Ive forgotten all about it I just left it disabled and moved on.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by playtoy_18
I've not run into this problem before but would like finger it out.I've narrowed it down and would like more info and advice.I have a customer fixing a 2000 5.3 chevy 4x4 that was submerged partially,not sure to what extent,you can't tell by looking at the truck,no interior damage.He couldn't start the truck without it immediatly dying,we both figured it was the VATS.I deleted VATS and truck started right up.I left and he called,light is on constant but truck starts runs fine.I think it is either a bad VATS module or bad ignition.My question is,Where is the VATS module?Is it part of the Body Control Module?If it is just a separate relay type module then we can just disconnect it.I didn't have either of my scanners with me at the time so I don't know what the security codes are coming up as.I'm going over there to check it out again tomorrow morning.Any advice or suggestion would help.I don't consider it my problem really cause we are sure it is shorted/water related,but i'd like to help out.

Oh yeah,i've read that if there is a fault with the key then it won't start,but if the key is okay and it reads a fault after the engine starts then that is the reason for security light on but no starting problems,because it detected it AFTER the engine was started which is why i am assuming a bad VATS module.Really need to location though.
i dont think there is an actual vats module i think it just part of the BCM
Old 08-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Have same issues with a 96 Camaro with V6...SECURITY light is often coming on (80% of time) at attempted startup, have to wait for 4-5 mins and then it clears and can start it. Can't disable cuz HP Tuners only works with '97 and up PCM for V6.

Sometimes the light is on during driving, but doesn't seem to affect anything. Would like to figure this out too...maybe the key is worn out??
Old 05-08-2022, 03:19 AM

how can i disable my vats i believe that it is causing my truck to start then die 2 seconds later
Old 05-08-2022, 04:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by SINISTER393
how can i disable my vats i believe that it is causing my truck to start then die 2 seconds later
Use the search feature. Never mind, even google could have answered this for you. VATS is easily disabled by throwing your car keys in a nearby pond and jogging to everywhere you have to go.

Quick Reply: security light stays on with vats disabled