PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittent electrical/sensor/VCM problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default intermittent electrical/sensor/VCM problem?

the '01 Z28.......

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday afternoon the car was firing right up and ran like clockwork (idles by itself, air/fuel is right on 14.7 all the time unless in PE then 13.0, and overall pulls like it has a rocket strapped to it....). I drove around Tuesday night for a few hours (fill up with gas, went to dinner, etc...). When I got home I pulled in the driveway and shut it down (didn't touch a thing).

Wednesday morning I went out to go to work and the engine just turns over but never lights off (it gets a "pop" now and then like the spark is coming on the exhaust stroke/wrong time). I pulled out the scanner and there are no codes, all the sensors (MAP, TPS, coolant temp, etc.....(no MAF...running SD)...) all seem to be working, I have fuel getting to the cylinders, and I have spark (pulled a plug and watched the spark jump the gap). Everything seems to be working but yet it will not fire up.

So in the 10 hours I slept from Tuesday night till Wednesday morning the car decided it does not want to fire up anymore. WTF?

I had this start happening a few weeks ago (exactly same type of thing) so I changed the Cam Position sensor (since it sounded like it was out of phase but I am getting a Tach signal which I don't think I would get if the Crank sensor were out/bad) and after a bit or cranking with the plugs out it fired up. But then the next week I had the exact same thing happen again so I again replaced the Cam sensor (figured I could have got a bad replacement) and again it "fixed" the problem but now the problem is back.

So WTF do I start looking at now? What could just decide to not work like that?

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 06-16-2005 at 10:21 AM.