Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES Light

I was working on the belts today, and I had to unplug the wire that goes into the stock airbox to get the filter cover and everything off the intake. I put the box back on but forgot to plug the wire back in, and I then drove about 15-20 miles to a restaurant without thinking about it. The SES light didnt come on.

On my way home from dinner, I had a Cobra want to race, so I agreed. We went from 20mph a few times (sucky spot in my car for sure), he couldn't go from 35 which is my sweet spot because he had to go to 2nd, so I said ok lets go from a dig. Well we lined up, I spun out for a bit (he had nittos so he had about a car on me when I got traction, then we stayed even after that).

Anyway, this isnt about the race, I noticed after the race from a dig up to like 70 my SES light was on, and this freaked me out. I took her to the first empty parking lot I could fine and popped the hood, looked around and didn't see anything. I checked oil/trans fluid, and then I noticed that I left the plug off.

I plugged it back in, and started the car again, but the SES light is staying on.

Now... I am pretty sure the plug is what caused the light, my car is pretty much stock and I have never seen the SES light on before. How can I clear out this code, I don't have HP tuners or any editing program and don't want to spend $20 at a local shop paying a mechanic for an hour of work when it will only take him 5 minutes..

Thanks in advance
Old 06-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Just keep driving the car 30 or 40 more miles and it'll clear itself out. Im not sure if dropping the battery off for a minute will do it but I know if you corrected the problem it will clear itself out after a few miles
Old 06-19-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Current IAT sensor codes should clear after 3 or 4 consecutive cycles without a failure. If the light still stays on you can reset it yourself by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes or reset the PCM this way:

Turn key on, don't start car
Pull PCM BATT and PCM IGN fuses in engine compartment
Wait 5-10 min
Turn ignition off
Replace fuses
Old 06-19-2005, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Manufacturers were required to make computers that could retain codes and fuel trims with battery disconnected, however even new computers have there limits. If you leave it unhooked for 10 minutes or so, it won't clear but if you leave it off for several hours, it usually does the trick.

But like mentioned above, a few drive cycles of the code passing its self tests will turn the light off.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks a lot guys, I tried the PCM fuses thing and that cleared it out
Old 06-19-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that's the easiest/quickest way if you don't have a scan tool - plus you can listen to the radio while you're waiting.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by evilbadz
Thanks a lot guys, I tried the PCM fuses thing and that cleared it out
Just for future reference, how long did you leave the fuses out? Did it just turn the light off, or is the code gone as well?