Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI How-to

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EFI How-to

I posted the following on EFILive's forum. Most of my direction came from here.

Maybe this will help in getting people started...

Once I got the wideband hooked up, these are the changes I made to go SD.

Originally Posted by PCM History
Jun 24, 2005 19:04:19

Engine Calibration.Fuel.DFCO
{B3313} DFCO Temp Enable, changed from "-22.000000" to "250.000000".
Engine Calibration.Fuel.Mixture
{B3618} PE Modifier Based on RPM, modified.
{B3605} EQ Ratio When in Open Loop, modified.
Engine Calibration.Fuel.Trim
{B3801} Long Term Fuel Trim Correction, changed from "Enable" to "Disable".
{B4205} Closed Loop Temp Enable, modified.
Engine Calibration.Spark.General
{B5914} Spark Low-Octane Table, modified.
Engine Diagnostics
{C6002} Engine DTC MIL Enablers, modified.
Engine Diagnostics.MAF
{C2901} MAF High Frequency Fail 1, changed from "13500.000000" to "0.000000".
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
B3313 (Engine>Fuel>DFCO>Parameters) - I disabled DFCO by changing the enable ECT to 250. As long as my coolant temp doesn't hit 250*, DFCO is off.

B3618 (Engine>Fuel>Mixture>PE Mod...on RPM) - I set the EQ ratio to 1.00 to disable the PE modifier.

B3605 (Engine>Fuel>Mixture>EQ Ratio...Open Loop) - I set the EQ ratio to something safe like 1.17 to command a 12.5 AFR. Remember, commanded_AFR_=_stoich/EQ.

B3801 (Engine>Fuel>Trim>Parameters) - I set LTFT correction to disable to turn off LTFT's.

B4205 (Engine>Fuel>Trim>Closed Loop Temp Enable) - I set all values in here to 250* to command open loop the whole time.

B5914 (Engine>Spark>General>Spark Low-Octane) - I copied the high-octane table to the low octane table to ensure a good spark curve. I didn't modify this table at all, so it was still the factory spark curve.

C6002 (Engine Diagnostics>Engine DTC MIL enablers) - P0101, P0102, P0103 were all changed to No MIL to turn off the SES when we disable the MAF.

C2901 (Engine Diagnostics>MAF>Parameters) - I set the MAF High Freq. Fail 1 to 0 to disable the MAF. Don't unplug the MAF. You can still log the signals/output for MAF calibration later.

After flashing that into the computer, what I chose to log was:

Absolute Thottle Position (TP)
Air Flow Grams/Cyl - SD (DYNCYLAIR_DMA)
Base Eff. Num. 1 - Tech Edge (BEN_TE1) << LC-1 was altered to match TE output.
Commanded AFR (AFR)
Current Gear (GEAR)
Engine Coolant Temp (ECT)
Engine RPM (RPM)
Heated O2 Sensor V B1S1 (HO2S11)
Heated O2 Sensor V B2S1 (HO2S21)
High/Low Octane Adaptive Spark (ASPARK) << not needed if you copy high-octane to low-octane.
Ignition Timing Adv. #1 Cylinder (SPARKADV)
Injector Base Pulse Width B1 (IBPW1)
Injector Base Pulse Width B2 (IBPW2)
Injector Duty Cycle B1 (INJDC1)
Injector Duty Cycle B2 (INJDC2)
Intake Air Temp (IAT)
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
Mass Air Flow Raw Freq. (MAFFREQ)
Retard Due to Knock (KR)
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
Wide Band AFR 1 - Tech Edge (AFR_TE1) << reprogramed LC-1 to match TE output.

Remember, this log is for things I needed/wanted. Look through the PIDs and see if there is something you would like to log to attack a problem or tweak a table.

In your scanner, you can open your log and map the BEN factor you logged earlier. Pay attention to the cell counts (n) as you only want to use the cells with enough activity. Use the filters to access the data you want to see and filter out the crap you don't. Once you have some good data to work with, switch to the average correction factor (x). These are corrections that you need to make to your VE table. I made them to my Main VE Table (Engine>Fuel>Airflow>Main VE Table) because I have an '02 f-body. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

This will help get you closer to where you need to be. Just keep your eyes open on the forums, make smart decisions, and don't change too many things at once. That should be enough to get people started. Don't forget to restore the stock tables for the changes made in the beginning to get you back to normal, closed-loop operation. Tune your P/E for the AFR you want at given RPM's, verify with a wideband and you're good to go. G/L

**NOTE** THIS IS THE METHOD I CHOSE TO BEGIN TUNING MY CAR. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF ANYTHING IS WRONG IN THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE, PLEASE TELL ME ASAP SO I CAN CORRECT IT (AND SO THAT I DON'T BLOW UP MY CAR TOO). ALSO, I DON'T HAVE A SECONDARY VE TABLE. IF YOU DO, YOUR PCM WILL REVERT TO THAT TABLE IN SPEED DENSITY MODE. ANY CHANGES MADE DURING S.D. TUNING WILL HAVE TO BE MADE TO THAT TABLE, OBSERVED WITH MORE LOGGING, AND THEN COPIED TO THE MAIN VE TABLE ONCE IT IS SET. LASTLY, YOUR MAF MAY BE IN NEED OF RECALIBRATION IF YOU SEE YOUR LTFT'S NOSE-DIVE/TAKE-OFF WHEN YOU RETURN TO NORMAL OPERATION.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 06-25-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I posted the following on EFILive's forum. Most of my direction came from here.

Maybe this will help in getting people started...

Once I got the wideband hooked up, these are the changes I made to go SD.

B3313 (Engine>Fuel>DFCO>Parameters) - I disabled DFCO by changing the enable ECT to 250. As long as my coolant temp doesn't hit 250*, DFCO is off.

B3618 (Engine>Fuel>Mixture>PE Mod...on RPM) - I set the EQ ratio to 1.00 to disable the PE modifier.

B3605 (Engine>Fuel>Mixture>EQ Ratio...Open Loop) - I set the EQ ratio to something safe like 1.17 to command a 12.5 AFR. Remember, commanded_AFR_=_stoich/EQ.

B3801 (Engine>Fuel>Trim>Parameters) - I set LTFT correction to disable to turn off LTFT's.

B4205 (Engine>Fuel>Trim>Closed Loop Temp Enable) - I set all values in here to 250* to command open loop the whole time.

B5914 (Engine>Spark>General>Spark Low-Octane) - I copied the high-octane table to the low octane table to ensure a good spark curve. I didn't modify this table at all, so it was still the factory spark curve.

C6002 (Engine Diagnostics>Engine DTC MIL enablers) - P0101, P0102, P0103 were all changed to No MIL to turn off the SES when we disable the MAF.

C2901 (Engine Diagnostics>MAF>Parameters) - I set the MAF High Freq. Fail 1 to 0 to disable the MAF. Don't unplug the MAF. You can still log the signals/output for MAF calibration later.

After flashing that into the computer, what I chose to log was:

Absolute Thottle Position (TP)
Air Flow Grams/Cyl - SD (DYNCYLAIR_DMA)
Base Eff. Num. 1 - Tech Edge (BEN_TE1) << LC-1 was altered to match TE output.
Commanded AFR (AFR)
Current Gear (GEAR)
Engine Coolant Temp (ECT)
Engine RPM (RPM)
Heated O2 Sensor V B1S1 (HO2S11)
Heated O2 Sensor V B2S1 (HO2S21)
High/Low Octane Adaptive Spark (ASPARK) << not needed if you copy high-octane to low-octane.
Ignition Timing Adv. #1 Cylinder (SPARKADV)
Injector Base Pulse Width B1 (IBPW1)
Injector Base Pulse Width B2 (IBPW2)
Injector Duty Cycle B1 (INJDC1)
Injector Duty Cycle B2 (INJDC2)
Intake Air Temp (IAT)
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
Mass Air Flow Raw Freq. (MAFFREQ)
Retard Due to Knock (KR)
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
Wide Band AFR 1 - Tech Edge (AFR_TE1) << reprogramed LC-1 to match TE output.

Remember, this log is for things I needed/wanted. Look through the PIDs and see if there is something you would like to log to attack a problem or tweak a table.

In your scanner, you can open your log and map the BEN factor you logged earlier. Pay attention to the cell counts (n) as you only want to use the cells with enough activity. Use the filters to access the data you want to see and filter out the crap you don't. Once you have some good data to work with, switch to the average correction factor (x). These are corrections that you need to make to your VE table. I made them to my Main VE Table (Engine>Fuel>Airflow>Main VE Table) because I have an '02 f-body. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

This will help get you closer to where you need to be. Just keep your eyes open on the forums, make smart decisions, and don't change too many things at once. That should be enough to get people started. Don't forget to restore the stock tables for the changes made in the beginning to get you back to normal, closed-loop operation. G/L

**NOTE** THIS IS THE METHOD I CHOSE TO BEGIN TUNING MY CAR. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF ANYTHING IS WRONG IN THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE, PLEASE TELL ME ASAP SO I CAN CORRECT IT (AND SO THAT I DON'T BLOW UP MY CAR TOO). ALSO, I DON'T HAVE A SECONDARY VE TABLE. IF YOU DO, YOUR PCM WILL REVERT TO THAT TABLE IN SPEED DENSITY MODE. ANY CHANGES MADE DURING S.D. TUNING WILL HAVE TO BE MADE TO THAT TABLE, OBSERVED WITH MORE LOGGING, AND THEN COPIED TO THE MAIN VE TABLE ONCE IT IS SET.
Good info for EFILive users! Being a current HP Tuners user, EFILive looks like a better tool. I'm seriously looking at moving from HP Tuners to EFILive......I was going to wait for v2.0 before I decided, but it looks like v2.0 won't be out until next year. I've been hearing soon for 7 months now.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't wait Aaron, you will be very happy with EFI Live. Trust me.

Nice Write Up!!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ditto ^^^

black02ss I am just going nuts until I get the heads and fm cam aaaaaaaaa bonus time is just to far off
Old 06-25-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Don't wait Aaron, you will be very happy with EFI Live. Trust me. ........
I've been telling myself to give HP Tuners the benefit of the doubt that v2.0 WILL be that good and worth the wait; However, as each day passes (It will be out 'soon') I see EFILive releasing updates and making it better and better. Now I'm at the point that I'm for even waiting at all!
Old 06-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still waiting on 98 upgrades and info. For those that may know, has it gotten any closer to completion?