PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pretty sure Maf is bad

Old 06-28-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pretty sure Maf is bad

2001 Trans Am M6 with 42 k. Lid, tb, catback car. Recent plugs, fuel filter, top end cleaner, 02's, normal maintenance. I stil have this stumble at idle and a slight shudder upon acceleration. AF was normal for a stock car and had my car looked at by my trusty mechanic (don't have tuner software nor know of any tuners locally Fairfax, VA.) The only reading that seemed off was the Maf. When we unplugged the maf the car seemed to smooth out a bit, yet still not perfect. My mechanic said the maf is bad or faulty. I've cleaned my tb, cleaned the maf after these symptoms. This has been going on since 30k. Stealership no help on any of this, simply saying its normal since no codes. Plugs are on and everything looks and sounds good. Good to decent gas mileage. I know how we all feel about aftermarket maf's but I need some advise on what I should do. Should I buy a new maf and take my chances? Aftermarket or stock? I'm weary on buying from the board a stocker considering they might be selling because of it being faulty and not being honest. I really don't wanna drop $150 and find that nothing changed once again. Help!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Can someone help, a few views but no ideas?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Launching!

PM sent
Old 06-29-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scanner would be the best cause you can see info, you could check out the maf numbers and fuel trims. when mafs go out the fuel trims tend to max out, as far as i have seen. my friends t/a had a bad maf and it felt like it was missing on a cyl
Old 06-29-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have access to a scanner then just unplug the maf and see if the idle or driving changes. If it doesn't chances are your maf is bad. Best to get a stock replacement if that is the case.

Re-read your post and you said you already did this. When my maf was screwing up I had a code. So...I don't know what the issue could be, I'd check the plug wires. It would be REALLY helpful to get someone with some scanning software.

Search this Thread