PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

part throttle timing?

Old 07-04-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default part throttle timing?

ok,i have a A4 98 Z,TR220 cam with mildly ported heads(11.1-1 compression)LTs,ls6 intake,ORY,basically all the boltons.my question is what kind of timing are you guys with similar set ups running for part throttle driving?i loaded a stock timing table from a Z06(22 degrees total)to start with and have since tried a few different things but am a little lost.anybody have a table i could look at or point me in the right direction?thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Restricted User

not to be a *****, but have you looked in the .bin repository sticky up top? My tune is in there listed under 2000...... C. Trayer. Basically mine is stock timing table, except idle has been raised and then WOT has been lowered a little. PT though remains stock, and my compression b/w stock and your now, plus larger cam
Old 07-04-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3
not to be a *****, but have you looked in the .bin repository sticky up top? My tune is in there listed under 2000...... C. Trayer. Basically mine is stock timing table, except idle has been raised and then WOT has been lowered a little. PT though remains stock, and my compression b/w stock and your now, plus larger cam
i have the first version of HPTuners,and can't read the other bin.files.i need to update my software,but i don't think then that i could look at some of the other bins. i have on file. thanks for the response.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

to the top
Old 07-05-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what i do is pick a block of values i wanna work on (lately it's been the more daily driving range) and start adding 4degs at a time (it's part throttle and low rpms, so the load is fairly low) and just see what happens. if you get knock all over, go back to previous settings, if it's just single cells, take a more in depth look into the logs, log all knock/spark PIDs and try to find out what caused it, is it repeatable, is the knock real, etc.
having more timing down low made my daily driving much more pleasureble i gotta say, even with an automatic, car responds more quickly, which makes lane changes and passing almost too fun.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

i smoothed out my table and have beeen adding 1 deg a time to the whole table and once i see kr ill back it out some, i read that jimmyblue did this so i tried it. im not getting any kr but ill keep doing this til i do and then back out about 2-3* and make sure its all smooth in the end for transitions to be better
Old 07-05-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Remember, timing will affect your AFR. I have seen a big swing in AFR by adjusting the timing in some applications.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

more timing will make it lean out wont it? or?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

what are you guys running right now, im gonna post up a screen shot of my table tonight, if you guys dont mind can you do the same? ill do the table and the 3d
Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, timing is a big mystery to me...I know it has an impact on AFR, but I'm not sure how it correlates.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
what are you guys running right now, im gonna post up a screen shot of my table tonight, if you guys dont mind can you do the same? ill do the table and the 3d
Need to figure out how to post a SS. I saved one to my HD, but its fricken 2mb, so I resized with paint and now its a healthy 1.1mb? Maybe I am missing something.

Yes, more timing will lean out the AFR some, normally most ppl will only add up to 3 or 4* and at PT that shouldnt hurt anything. At WOT you can up to KR, then back it out 3 or 4* or just log and run and see where it likes it best. Logging is your best tool for timing, you can open your histogram and see what cells are being used for different gears, airflow etc and then adjust the timing in those cells, then smooth it out some.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i have mnine really smooth and just added to the whole table except the wot i left it alone. i monitored KR and got none at all, i might just add 1 more deg the whole upper left corner of the table and be done with it, the car feels pretty good as it is now though. if you paste a shot of your table in paint you can save it as a jpeg? and it will be really small size i think
Old 07-05-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
having more timing down low made my daily driving much more pleasureble i gotta say, even with an automatic, car responds more quickly, which makes lane changes and passing almost too fun.
yeah,the first tables i loaded made the car really responsive down low(stock Z06 tables for the high octane,stock 98 high octane table copied to the low octane tables)i then copied the Z06 tables to the low octane tables,and responsiveness went away.then switched to stock 98 high octane tables for both high and low tables,and got some responsiveness back,but not quite as much.thanks guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: part throttle timing?