Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some guided wisdom needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question some guided wisdom needed

I Am Having A Problem..... Ses Light Is Activated And When Having System Scanned, It Is Coming Up With A Misfire On Cylinder #6. Also, I Am Getting The Popping In The Exhaust When Backfiring And Have A Slight Hesitation. Drivability And Idle Are Still Good-managable For The Most Part. Just Recently Had Some Work Done On Car After The Warranty Had Expired. I Need Some Sound Advice To Remedy Problem. I Did Not Have Any Computer Tuning Done Yet. What About Plugs-wires Besides Tuning?
01 Firehawk Formula/6m/t-top Delete/ Airbox,k&n,bellows,maf,b&m Ripper, Engine Brace,subframes,hotchkis Rear Susp. System,t/a Rear,slp Headers, Slp Cat Converters, Slp Loudmouth. CAR HAS APPROX. 22,000 MILES
Old 07-05-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the board.

Are you running aftermarket plug wires? First thing I'd do is make sure you don't have a loose or burnt plug wire on #6. My buddy has SLP headers and just had the same problem/symptom and found a burnt wire. Start the car in the dark and look for any arcing. #6 is the third one back on the passenger side looking from the front of the car. Hopefully it's something simple.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Teching In

if its not this then what do you recommend??? upgrading plugs... wires... coils.... which ones are the best to use???
Old 07-05-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm still betting on the plug wire arching on the header somewhere as your problem. Coils should be fine, you'll get a lot of different opinions on plugs and wires - I went with NGK TR55's and Taylor wires - available from most of the sponsors.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Teching In

you were absolutely right!!! its dark up here in philly and i had just looked under the hood. you could see the arc big time. looks like i'll be upgrading those wires and plugs..... do you think this will be an ongoing problem reoccurring again after upgrading?????
Old 07-05-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, glad that's what it was. I'd just pull that plug and clean it, and replace the wire. My buddy went with MSD wires and hasn't had a problem. Gotta love obdii and this site.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Teching In

Don't forget to look into what caused the burnt wire so as to not have it reoccur again. If you have after market headers you might also want to invest in kool-sox (or similar) to protect the plug wires from the excessive heat of after market headers.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah,,,,and make sure you don't touch that wire while the car is running. Those sparks may look pretty but they hurt like a SOB. LOL