PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant low problem

Old 07-12-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant low problem

Well I just switched in a 160* tstat a few days ago and everythings been fine, been keeping the temps down approx 10* compared to before.

Now recently we've been going thru a heatspell (been 95-105*F avg temps outside) and I figured great, excellent timming for me to have put in the cooler thermostat.

Well no such luck, in city traffic the car gets over 200*, and once it reaches 210*+ I get the big red coolant low light come on. Ive reached those temps before and never had this problem.

I figured ok maybe I have a small air pocket in the system, so I open my rad and of course it is full, I looked in my overflow, same thing, it shows WARM FULL on the dipstick.

So I put my coolant funnel that locks tight onto the top of rads to create a high spot in the cooling system to which air pockets will usuall escape. Well I got a couple tiny bubbles, but nothing major and sure enough I was able to get it over 210* again and same thing, the light comes on!

I leave it running a bit longer, tried squeezing the thermostat hose to see if I could push any air out, didnt really help. Driving around yesterday on local streets I hit 221*.

The IAT is easily over 135* and even when Im driving along Im not going below 100* for IAT's, so its really hot out.

Question is, is there now an air pocket possible stuck in my system somewhere, or is it just that its torturously hot outside and I need to deal with it? I find that hard to believe however, because I know theres some of you on here that live in that kind of weather, thanks!
Old 07-12-2005, 04:50 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

The first two things I would check now: Is the radiator and AC condensor fins clear of dirt and such, and are the fans turning on like they are supposed to. As far as air pockets, I've never had a problem with that when draining the radiator, but apparently others have.
Good luck.
BTW, you'd probably be better served in one of the engine forums.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Well thats just it, I didnt drain the rad, I did it the lazy way. I pulled off the old tstat, and put the new one on. I then however ran the car for a bit with the overfill can open and cycled the RPM's.

I did have to add coolant at the end cause it was again low, but other than that it appears to stay full now.

Search this Thread