Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedo problems after gear swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo problems after gear swap

Ok I just got my gears in (3.73) I have the car up on stands so I can break the new gears in. After a little bit the abs inop light comes on then the brake light. I run it a few mins then let it cool. The next day I do another heat cycle on it. Lights are still on. I let it cool for about 5 hrs and go do another heat cycle. This time the ses light comes on and my speedo is jerking like crazy. I notice my volt gauge jerking everynow and then to. Does anyone have any advice on where I should start looking to fix this? I reset the computer and the service engine light stayed off but the abs light is still on and the speedo is still going crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Launching!

i think u should break ur gears in on the road. sounds like ur trying to do it up in the air? someone else might be able to help here. ur car is going crazy because it is probably sensing no traction. causing everything to mess up.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

abs is on cause the car thinks its being towed. (if its in the air still) which makes no sense to me at all
Old 07-15-2005, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

The car is stillin the air. I will try to take it out today if I get off of work early enough. I guess we will see what happens then. I still cant figure out about the speedo.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would presume you changed your ECM gear ratio to the new ratio, correct? The reason for what you are experiencing is because the front wheel sensor is staying stationary, while the rear wheel sensor is detecting speed. This is confusing the ECM and it has no idea what you are doing, it just knows that the car is in drive and both wheels should correlate with regards to speed. When you put it on the ground, clear the ECM of any codes and drive it around. You shouldn't have any problems.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

to add to Flame Throwing SS's post - If you haven't changed the gear ratio in the PCM, you will continue to get the abs inop and TSC light because the PCM thinks your rear wheels are traveling faster than the front.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

ok before I could get it out of the driveway the absinop light went off. I was checking the oil and stuff and noticed that one of my plug wires was not pluged in all the way. I just took it around my circle drive and everything seems A ok so far. I am going to cruise in to town in a few and see how it does. Thanks for all your help guys.

Quick Reply: speedo problems after gear swap