Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech worth the $$ ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hypertech worth the $$ ?

Need advice from the wrenchers. Is the Hypertech programmer worth the money? I mean, does it really do anything of significance? Just wondering because I found a closeout sale for a '00 LS1 Camaro (like mine) programmer for $250. Would it be worth the money or, would you spend that on something else? How do they work and what exactly do they do? I know you plug 'em in under the dash and answer yes/no questions to change different things but, are these noticeable changes? And, is there an actual "chip" that you have to install? Can somebody give me 411?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope, definetly not worth the money... especially since you're an M6 car (slightly more useful for A4) ... the "Power Tune" is hit or miss... they basically flatten the spark curve out (remove the dip at peak torque) and Lean the car out.... on some cars it adds power due to the leaning, on others it causes them to run too lean and start lean popping

IMHO A hypertech is only "worth it" if it's gotten for under 100 bux... The Predator and vinci motorsports (crane) hand held units are much better... though nothing can compete w/a full blow tuner package like HP Tuners or EFI Live.

Oh and no chip to install... I think "Chipped" cars (as far as our F-Bodys go) died in 1993 when the last "chipped" F-body was made (you would actually put newly burned eproms in the PCM)
Since 94 the cars have been flash cars... you rewrite hte PCM flash memory

ALso be careful buying used, make surte it's someone that you think you can trust... they must return the Programmer 100% to stock settings (remove everything from there car ) in order for it to be used on another car (only works on 1 car at a time)
Old 07-26-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs down

It is not worth the money IMO. If you had an A-4 and you could get it for $50 it might be worth it just to change the shift firmness and if you were never going to MOD your car.

FlashScan here.
Bill
Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search, im sure you can find hundreds of thousands of threads on this that will let you know its not worth the money one bit
Old 07-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Absolutely NOT! Wasted my money and should have bought PC based package. Was VERY lucky to get $250 for it one year later.

Signed,

Former PPIII owner
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the posts guys. You've all confirmed what I already suspected.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Save up another $250-$300 and buy EFIlive or HPT. You will come out ahead in the long run.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

If you want to get into programming spend the extra 350 and buy my efi live personal scan and tune flashscan package from me.

(A little off topic. Sorry)