Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CMP High Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CMP High Voltage

Okay, fixed all my other electral problems, turned out they were ALL because of a shorted out rear 02 sim... figures. 5 hrs of cutting appart wiring harness (the tape not the actual wires) lead me to that.

NOW the only problem i have is about 2500 it'll throw a CMP High Voltage code, and the tach will quit working, but several seconds later the tach comes back online, and the code is gone.
ALSO, if i free rev fast it will go right past the 2500 mark and straight up to seven if i take it there, with no problems, but on the fall down, when it gets to about 3k it'll fall dead and i'll get the CMP HV code again. I was wondering if any one had any clue why this might be, the CMP is new, and i've gone over the wiring harness every inch of the harness and the problems isn't there. I've even checked to cam to make sure it's not walking and that the plate is secure, it is.

Thanks in advance ofr any help!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Camshaft position sensor is, I believe, back above the
starter motor and can get hurt in exhaust swapping etc.
I'd start by pulling and reseating the connector, which
also gives the chance to inspect wires for similar damage.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

The LS1 camshaft sensor is on the top of the rear engine by the oil pressure sending unit. What actual code number are you pulling? Sounds like an intermittent problem and almost sounds like the wires are crossed.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that code and it was due to the cam walking. If youve already checked both the 3 cam bolts and the 4 cam retaining plate bolts, you should be okay as far as that.

The only other thing you could do is check for pinched wires, or metal shavings stuck to the tip of the CMP sensor. it is indeed right near the oil sensor, so youll have to pull the intake off to get there.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Teching In

the CMP is new, and i've gone over the wiring harness every inch of the harness and the problems isn't there. I've even checked to cam to make sure it's not walking and that the plate is secure, it is.
I guess i pull it out and look for metal shavings then.