PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car hesitates when I initially start it, take a ride and stop on the gas.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car hesitates when I initially start it, take a ride and stop on the gas.

I was cleaning the Holley filter and the TB the otehr day and when I reinstalled it, I found that the car hesitates when I stomp on the gas. Rather than just going, it inhales , stumbles/surges for a 1/10th of a second, and then takes off. I know I didn't let the filter dry out all the way before I installed it and fear that I might have dirtied the resistors/sensors. After a few minutes it kinda fixes itself so I really don't know what it is. Maybe the computer can't meter the air and uses canned MAF tables or something (total hypothesis). What do you guys think?

I picked up the electrical contact cleaning from Radio Shack. I can't see how this would hurt but I just want to know if this sounds like it would solve my problem.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 08-02-2005, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it. To verify it's the MAF, if you have HPTuners put it in SD mode and see if the problem persists.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

No HPtuners here.... I guess I'll just try it and see what happens.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some electronic parts cleaner and clean the maf off, also make sure you didnt over oil the filter. i got rid of my holley because of that damn shitty oil they give. the oil is ok but a bitch to apply
Old 08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

I went back to FRAM after destroying a good MAF 2 years ago; K&N and heavy rain don't mix too well.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

i just soaked my puroulator, lucky no water got in the motor but heavy rain, no baffles and sealed air box to ws6 hood is no good lol. i made a block off plate that i can take off at the track or ncie day, has wing nuts
Old 08-08-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cleaned it with the radio shack electric cleaner. Fliter was oily on the clean side as well so I soaked it up with paper towels. I reinstalled it and it still hesitates when I get on it.
After I drive around a little it seems to fix itself. It's strange. It does sem like it is down on power. Any thing else I can check or do?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Buy a $7 fram and throw it in to make sure no more oil is getting on. Clean the MAF again; empty the can on the parts.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Viper
Buy a $7 fram and throw it in to make sure no more oil is getting on. Clean the MAF again; empty the can on the parts.
... and give it 50 miles for the computer to relearn the trims once the MAF is clean and reading accurately.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cleaned the MAF with a Q-tip soaked in cantact cleaner, took the TB apart and cleaned it really good, installed a paper filter, reinstalled everything and disconnected/reconnected the battery. Fired it up and took it for a drive and the car wouln't hold an idle. Shut it down and restarted and idle was normal again (forgot about the idle relearn), but the hesitation was still there. Strange but it managed to go away the more drove it around town.

Didn't drive the car for a week and when I started it up yesterday, the bucking/popping was there again. I shift into second at about 1300RPM and give it a good amount of throttle, and all I hear is popping and the car falls on its face for a couple of seconds. Just like last week, the more I drive it, it goes away. Drove to work (30 miles) and it eventually went away. Drove it back home and it seems to be OK, (power cycle), drove it around town and it was OK. Car still doesn't seem to be running 100 % becasue I can still hear a faint popping in the exhaust.

I don't know what else it could be. Misfires?

Although this is not new, I should mention that my front o2s are not metering correctly (throwing codes)\. I replaced them because I was told by my tuner that they were bad. Since they didn't fix the issue, I believe the part throttle tune is the real culprit. Could this have screwed up the plugs, in turn causeing misfires yielding the issue I am seeing? Thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

if it gets better as you drive, i wonder if its o2 related. they could get hotter the longer its running making it better... just a though

edit: just saw that last bit i missed. could be a possible problem still but if the car does it cold then the o2s arent giving feedback anyway.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

have you tried just unplugging the maf to see if the problem persist?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
have you tried just unplugging the maf to see if the problem persist?
No, I havent tried that. Will the car run in SD mode? What can i expect?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah itll run
Old 08-30-2005, 06:23 AM
FormerVendor

check for vacum leaks with a can of brake parts cleaner,with motor running spray around th TB the motor should rev a little if one is present ...also a vac line on rear of intake
Old 08-30-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tunafish
check for vacum leaks with a can of brake parts cleaner,with motor running spray around th TB the motor should rev a little if one is present ...also a vac line on rear of intake
intake was never off the car and I don't think it is a vaccuum leak but thanks for the suggestion. I've had the damn lind, filter arrangement off the car so many time before and I have never experienced this before.

I started it up today and the problem is still there. I disconnected the MAF and at first I thought I found the problem but I guess wasn't really low enough in the RPMs. I shifted throught the gears and the response seemed to be there until i hit 5th and gave it some gas. The car fell on its face (almost like a stall) and then I down shifted through the ears, focusing in on keeping the revs low, around 1200 and then blipped the throttle each time and the popping/stalling still was present.

So now the only thing I know is that the connecting/disconnecting my current MAF does not solve the problem. I can't say it is or it is not the MAF at this point. What typically happens when the car runs in SD? What else if not the MAF, could it be? plugs? I have the NGK iridiums installed 10K ago.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Replace your plugs and see if that fixes it. 10K isn't many miles but if you are running a little rich at idle they will foul quickly. Maybe even a new set of plug wires while you are at it.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

i would get some tr55's that way if it doesnt fix the problem u didnt just spend a lot of money for nthing
Old 08-30-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Talor wires in there but I guess I can try some new plugs. I hate the fact that I may have fouled the expensive iridium ones but oh well, 60 bucks down the drain. Only thing is, I will continue to run rich until I get the tune straightened out and can't seemed to get in touch with ttp.

How can the problem just come and go once the engine warms up? What made it come up in the first place? That to me doesn't make sense. Thanks guys.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

could be the wires, i know guys that have had taylors fall appart on them. has this happened since u got the cam in or no? only thing i can think of is maybe it needs a retune, something coudl have changed? i do find it odd to just show up like that and then come and go

Search this Thread