PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lock a 4L60 temporarily in 2nd with HPT

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Naked AV

Default How to lock a 4L60 temporarily in 2nd with HPT

I have to troubleshoot and repair a problem with a Transgo install gone awry, but in the interim I need to drive my vehicle for a little while. Is there any way I can program the tranny to start off in 2nd (not 1st) so I don't have to deal with this unbearably harsh 1-2 shift?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't you just put the shifter into 2nd?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While scanning, open up the VCM controls. Another window will pop-up, select the Trans Tab. In here you can select what gear to be in and the trans will not shift up nor down from the highlighted selection. You can also enable the TCC (lock up clutch) here as well, for dyno runs for example. No need to goof up your trans table settings for just a one time deal.
Attached Thumbnails How to lock a 4L60 temporarily in 2nd with HPT-vcm-controls.jpg  
Old 08-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Naked AV

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Can't you just put the shifter into 2nd?
I think all this does is ensure you can't go HIGHER than 2nd....I think the tranny still starts off in 1st. I could be wrong on this (please correct me if I am).

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
While scanning, open up the VCM controls. Another window will pop-up, select the Trans Tab. In here you can select what gear to be in and the trans will not shift up nor down from the highlighted selection. You can also enable the TCC (lock up clutch) here as well, for dyno runs for example. No need to goof up your trans table settings for just a one time deal.
So if I use this feature, I will start off in 2nd, but I can go no higher than 2nd gear, is this correct? Not sure if this is what I would want to do, since I need to be able to drive in just 2nd, 3rd, and OD (on and off the freeway), but not 1st gear.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

You can activate the 2nd gear with the VCM Controls, then turn it off when you are at 25 or so MPH. Yes, this method locks 2nd gear so it starts in 2nd and stays in 2nd gear only. Same with the other gear selection on the VCM Controls. If you want to drive around with no 1st, just set your upshift points to 0 on the 1 -> 2 (upshift) and 2 -> 1 (downshift) shift speed for the entire range (0%-100% TPS).
Old 08-05-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Naked AV
I think all this does is ensure you can't go HIGHER than 2nd....I think the tranny still starts off in 1st. I could be wrong on this (please correct me if I am).

It should force it to start in 2nd also (before I got a decent Daily Driver, I had to use 2nd gear start a few times in the snow)

However, using the VCM Controls is the better bet... I'm not sure if the PCM would be able to command a downshift at higher TPS % (when 2nd gear start is selected)
Old 08-05-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
It should force it to start in 2nd also (before I got a decent Daily Driver, I had to use 2nd gear start a few times in the snow)
I don't think it should, well never come across it on any other car of any make or model.

The shifter allows you to limit which gear it will shift upto, i.e the highest gear, it will still kick down or drop to a lower gear if required. This is done to give the driver more control, in townor sprited driving you may not want it shifting to top gear to then kick down again. Also in heavier slower vehcles (maybe towing) it can be of help to lock it down to stop the box 'hunting' if going uphill.

Tkae the Jagaur XKR it has a 5 speed auto box, available gear stick postions are:

P
R
N
D

If you put it in 4 it is hardly likely to try and pull away in 4th. It will use gears 1-4 instead of 1-5. I think the Camaro is:

P
R
N
D (in box for over drive or 4th)
D (3rd)

So by selecting 2nd the car will use gears 1-2 instead of 1-4.

Some cars (Jaguar XJ12 6.0) have an over ride button to affectively disable 1st, this means the car will pull away in 2nd every time. However it is usually only used for snowy conditions.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know on my GTP if I put it in 2nd when stopped it starts off in second... not sure what happens when I punch it...

Same w/my TA ... as I mentioned... I had to use 2nd gear start (placing shifter in 2nd) several times during winters when the car was a daily driver... it definetly started in 2nd gear
Old 08-05-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Starting in M/Y 2000, LS1 F-bodies got 2nd gear start. Put the shifter in 2nd, the car starts out in 2nd gear.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
I know on my GTP if I put it in 2nd when stopped it starts off in second... not sure what happens when I punch it...

Same w/my TA ... as I mentioned... I had to use 2nd gear start (placing shifter in 2nd) several times during winters when the car was a daily driver... it definetly started in 2nd gear
oh well cool, learn something new every day. I guess it must have a setting or switch so that when you select 2nd it over rides 1st. Only ever seen it as a seperate switch before.

It's a bit small, but see the switch behiind the selector. Its a 3 way padel swith. with normal in the middle, I think left was sports (firmed up shifts and more reactive kick down) and right was 1st gear lock out.

I'll have to remember that about the Camaro, not that we get much snow here.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I was a bit surprised myself when I found out both cars had 2nd gear start just by placing the shifter in 2nd.... I was used to the switches too (Dad's a Jaguar Mechanic so I know exactly what you're talking about )
Old 08-05-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Starting in M/Y 2000, LS1 F-bodies got 2nd gear start. Put the shifter in 2nd, the car starts out in 2nd gear.
Exactly, if the selector is in 2nd on these models it will stay in 2nd from 0-100% TPS and from idle to redline. It will never shift out of 2nd.

I don't know if it holds true for trucks and SUV, apparently not since the original poster has an Avalanche.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Naked AV

I wish there was a light on the dash or something indicating what gear you are in so I could tell if these things worked before taking off from a stop...I don't want to hear that 1-2 clunk again until I get it fixed.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Naked AV
I wish there was a light on the dash or something indicating what gear you are in so I could tell if these things worked before taking off from a stop...I don't want to hear that 1-2 clunk again until I get it fixed.
Isn't there a current gear pid in your scanning software? There is in EFI Live. Not to sound all "naaa-naa-na-naaa-na," but I would think you have access to the same PIDs we do.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ good point... there is a current gear PID in HP Tuners... so you could use that to see if by putting the gear selector in 2, if it forces it to stay in 2
Old 08-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Naked AV

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

My GMC 2000 HD 2500 starts out in first when I put it in second, my 1998 Econoline 250 started in second, so does my 2005 E350.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I put my '03 GMC Sierra 1500 in the '2' range, it will start out in 2nd gear at light to medium throttle. But if I give it more than about half throttle, it will drop down into first. Scared the L out of me the first time it happened.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For a slightly more permanent solution, so you don't have to carry your laptop with you every time you drive, you could try editing your BIN file as follows: (Be sure to save a backup, of course)

Open VCM Edit and load your file.

Go to Tranmission -> A4 Shift Speed.

Open the Normal Shift Speed vs %TPS vs Shift table.

On the 1->2 Shift and 2->1 Shift rows, enter 0 MPH. This should keep you out of first gear.

Save and flash as usual.

Note: I haven't tried this myself, but it should work. Let me know the results.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
For a slightly more permanent solution, so you don't have to carry your laptop with you every time you drive, you could try editing your BIN file as follows: (Be sure to save a backup, of course)

Open VCM Edit and load your file.

Go to Tranmission -> A4 Shift Speed.

Open the Normal Shift Speed vs %TPS vs Shift table.

On the 1->2 Shift and 2->1 Shift rows, enter 0 MPH. This should keep you out of first gear.

Save and flash as usual.

Note: I haven't tried this myself, but it should work. Let me know the results.
Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
You can activate the 2nd gear with the VCM Controls, then turn it off when you are at 25 or so MPH. Yes, this method locks 2nd gear so it starts in 2nd and stays in 2nd gear only. Same with the other gear selection on the VCM Controls. If you want to drive around with no 1st, just set your upshift points to 0 on the 1 -> 2 (upshift) and 2 -> 1 (downshift) shift speed for the entire range (0%-100% TPS).
That is what I said previously, and yes it does work because I have tried it myself for racing enviroments. Oh, and BTW, on 2001 and newer GM trucks, if you place the selector in 2nd, it will start out in that gear.