Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my LTFT and KR

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my LTFT and KR

Well took my first decent log today. Reset the fuel trims and took a good hr worth of log. I should get my LTFT fixed first, then work on the KR right? The KR is the MAX values and the other two are in average values. BTW if anyone knows how I can reduce the "dead" space on the pics feel free to let me know. The car has had a new set of heads, ported TB, and True duals since the last tune(tuned for lt headers with y-pipe, 224/230 .567.571 112LSA)

Last edited by KALEL; 08-04-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 08-05-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

First off use a cropping program like Paint Shop Pro, if you dont have that, even using simple Paint (Microsoft) has crop ability.

Now onto your problems. That KR is not good. Put it on Average and see where the KR is happening. Then reduce your High Octane spark table by the amounts in the Histogram. Relog, and see if you elimated knock.

You want to get your knock taken care of first in my opinion especially since you got +10 degrees being pulled, either your spark table has been modified and not done too good of a job advancing timing, or you have false knock.

Dixit
Old 08-05-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went in and adjusted my primary VE table and reduced the knock, but I still get some there. Here are my new tables after some tuning.

KR table(Max)

LTFT(avg)

shouldn't I correct my VE tables BEFORE I go and adjust my spark tables for KR? My KR has been reduced and I'm hoping when I get the VE table like I want it, I'll be almost free of KR.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Well your Retard looks a lot better, but make sure you look at AVERAGE of knock and not Max values.

Go ahead and start tuning your VE to be on point. Then tweak KR if needed. Only reason I was saying adjust the KR first is because you were getting some +10 numbers which is definetely not good.

Dixit
Old 08-05-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dixit
Well your Retard looks a lot better, but make sure you look at AVERAGE of knock and not Max values.

Go ahead and start tuning your VE to be on point. Then tweak KR if needed. Only reason I was saying adjust the KR first is because you were getting some +10 numbers which is definetely not good.

Dixit
Yea I realize that KR at that level is very bad. Had it not gone down after my first tune, I would have probably gone in the spark table. As far as looking at Max vs. retard, I've been told to look at max, because you don't want ANY retard period.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well I've gone through and tried to correct my VE tables 5 times and this is what I still get. Can someone explain to me what I need to do to fix these tables?? The last time I went through and multiplied the whole table by 1.05% and I'm still getting high values...
KR(max)

LTFT(avg)
Old 08-05-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Timing adjustment will effect your fueling
Old 08-05-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Timing adjustment will effect your fueling
So what "exactly" needs to be done to fix my VE graph?? Sorry but I just got this and am still new to the tuning game.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm sure there are 101 ways to skin this cat...

I would rough the VE table in, then go after the KR. Once the KR is resolved, then finalize the VE table.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Are you running the car in SD mode and tuning the VE or are you trying to tune the VE with the MAF connected and in MAF mode?

Dixit
Old 08-06-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the car has been running with the MAF active(not SD). I read about SD mode, but for whatever reason I chose not to use it. Will it make that much of a difference? If so, I may just start from scratch again.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KALEL
the car has been running with the MAF active(not SD). I read about SD mode, but for whatever reason I chose not to use it. Will it make that much of a difference? If so, I may just start from scratch again.
yes, it will make a huge difference. trying to tune you ve table while the MAF is active is like nailing one foot to the floor and running as fast as you can.

take a look at the stickies in this forum for the write ups on VE tuning. You should also look into a WBO2. WB's make the VE tuning process much easier and give you a clearer picture of what's going on in your motor.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, it will make a huge difference. trying to tune you ve table while the MAF is active is like nailing one foot to the floor and running as fast as you can.

take a look at the stickies in this forum for the write ups on VE tuning. You should also look into a WBO2. WB's make the VE tuning process much easier and give you a clearer picture of what's going on in your motor.
Ok well I will try SD mode later today when I get off of work. When I reset my fuel trims, do I just have to drive for 50 min OR 100miles, or both? And as far as a WBO2 goes, I just waiting for the funds to arrive. Its top on my "things to put a hole in my pocket" list.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

going of LTFT's, you are going to need a lot of data. The first few passes at the VE table I'd say you could get away with 50 mile trips. Once the VE table is roughed in, you will need to collect data from several logs and average it before you apply the changes.

Nothings more fun than chasing you own tail
Old 08-06-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

going of LTFT's, you are going to need a lot of data. The first few passes at the VE table I'd say you could get away with 50 mile trips. Once the VE table is roughed in, you will need to collect data from several logs and average it before you apply the changes.

Nothings more fun than chasing you own tail
Is there a way to average seperate tables, or must all of this be done manually??
Old 08-06-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Excel.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Junkie

alot of that kr is caused from you being lean all over the place I would start by multiplying your entire maf table by 1.06 and tweaking from there or if in SD adjust the ve by adding 6 to the entire thing then tweak accordingly that should knock out alot of the kr. Then pull timing where it occurs

or you can disble long term trims and just use the short terms to adjust the ve that works alot quicker than waiting for lt's to get learned you just need a good average in all cells for that method
Old 08-08-2005, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Sorry to jump in here but how do you disable the LT trims?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ORANGE JUICE1
Sorry to jump in here but how do you disable the LT trims?
I believe its in the scanner under DTC controls. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I believe thats where it is.