Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steps i took in getting idle, come in and add to it/correct me haha

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default steps i took in getting idle, come in and add to it/correct me haha

ok well there have been a lot of little things i have been going back and forth doing of of course they are all dependent on one another. i just wanted to get some opinions on adjustments that were being made and the order i did them and see if you guys think it sounds good. maybe switch the order up, but this is the way i did it to get a smoother idle. of course there is the random high and low rpm, but i think that is related to an over shoot in the iac motor, which i may try to fix this afternoon, but for all the newbies for tuning cams, here is the list and maybe it can help you all out.

1) tune the ve and for the rest of the idle tuning, dont mess with idle cells
2)make first adjustments to adaptive idle, i lowered the response time and raised the rpm, im going to mess with the response time more to see what happens
3)adjust the rpms where you want them to be when you are DONE, may run like **** now but it will save you from doing things 2 times, change in rpm will change your idle airflow
4)get the effective area in line, so the car can make proper corrections
4b)after this if the IAC steps are not between 30-50 then you will need to adjust your throttle body set screw. if the counts are too low you need to open the tb, if they are too high you need to lower it. i have mine set for tps voltage of 0.61, i would only change it 0.02 volts at a time.
5)adjust the idle airflow, at this point the idle will be really stable but not steady enough for me
6)adjust the iac park position airflow, i have mine set the same from 20*c and up, still tinkering with this to fully understand its function but the temps havent changed much where i can see big changes.
7)adjust your idle timing, set it where you think is good, then go into the vcm controls (in hp tuners, and my dumb *** just found this out the other day lol) and you can control the idle spark settings. i went up a few deg and then down and found a sweet spot right around 22* for timing, each car will be different of course but this is an easy way to check it out
8)good time to recheck the idle airflow after the timing is set, it may slightly change
9)adjust your overspeed spark correction. i actually lowered mine some and then when running the car in the vcm controls i shut it off. when i shut it off the idle got worse, it seems to me that low rpm error could be zeroed outbut then gradually increase. +/- 1* seems to be where my car want to be at 125 rpm change, right now i think its changing too much. ill try to get more on this tonight though going in the other post i have about it
10)now yu can adjust the adaptive idle again, at least the time delay, to see if you can get any more smoothness out of it
11)i havent tried this idea out yet, and i will have to see if it effects throttle let off, and i dont nkow if/where i can adjust this cause i havent looked. but if i try to keep the iac steady and the rpms stay good, i will see if there is a way to change the acceleration of the iac motor so it wont open and close too far.

ok so if i didnt leave anything out, right now the idle speed should have stabilized itself a good bit, i still see some fairly large jumps every 30 sec or more to put me at 115 rpm change at idle from high to low, but taking those out i can get the car within 80 rpm, when the o2s heat up the car will become more stable. when i went in open loop the car got better, a little rich, but the idle didnt stubmle at bad then which make me think the o2s were just cold, causing the high rpms changes. keep in mind this was all done at cold start up in my driveway.

now i had some cold start issues, and here is what i did for them

1)adjusted the OLFA table so it wasnt so rich at the higher maps with the bigger cam
2)adjusted the afterstart enrich, from what i have read, the richer your car is, the cooler the o2s will be, so the longer it will take to heat up. i am progressively pulling fuel on start up to see if i can maintain a good idle. pulling some fuel out helped to fix some surging i had going on when cold, way too rich, about 10.3-10.5:1. i also put the decay for 20*c to the setting for 40*c. i may try to pull it all out today and see where that puts me
3)the start up spark correction was also increased on my tune, i used the multiplier to make these changes, i set the values that were at 1 to 0.8 so i could get some more cold start timing.
4)friction airflow and decay were adjusted on. i decreased the friction airflow so the car would not get so much air on start up. i increased the decay as well so it would get back to the regular airflow settings faster.

if i wasnt clear or was rambling and you dont understand let me know and ill fix it lol. i just wonder if anyone can add things to this or has results they can share. overall my idle is good, its not perfect (for me, others think im crazy and say its past great lol) i can try to bog the motor letting the clutch out and the rpms will recover fast and nice, stopping and taking off are a whole lot better. the rpms wont hang and wont dip on me. hope this info will help someone out, or maybe someone can give me more info to help me out.

like i said, any additions or corrections please let me know and ill try it out/correct it in this post. also im on break at work doing this so i may have left something out, ill check my notes when i go home.

Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; 08-06-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What adjustments did you do with adaptive idle settings?
I was wondering if the underspeed adjustments would help me.
Isn't the park setting just for startup? My hot/cold starts are perfect so I don't think I should dare mess with this.

My idle is a work in progress(my brother says it is perfect don't screw with it but I don't think so) but I can say I have been fairly happy for the last week. I have it set at 875, I can start it cold and take off. Idle comes down nice and slow, doesn't undershoot. Once it is up to 195F on the water temp, I do get a little bit of undershooting. I did notice my STIT are a little off still so I am going to make another adjustment to the RAF table. I fiddled with the timing and had as high as 28 in drive/park tables. Although it did help smooth out the idle and return to idle I got way to much surging so I dropped it back to 23 degrees if I remember correctly.

Biggest tip I can give for getting your idle right, make sure your IAC is clean.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Checkmate
What adjustments did you do with adaptive idle settings?
i raised the rpm to 130 rpm, enable 60*c, time dealy of 1.0 sec

I was wondering if the underspeed adjustments would help me.
Isn't the park setting just for startup? My hot/cold starts are perfect so I don't think I should dare mess with this. ?
i dont know to be honest with you. i dont know if its a determining factor based on IAT as well for what it sets it at, but i know if the temps changed or i changed that table, my LTIT and STIT would be off again. colder weather should show some more about this, i havent got a good explaination from hp tuners, they said when the car is off the iac motor is in this position. but i THINK it does a little more than that

My idle is a work in progress(my brother says it is perfect don't screw with it but I don't think so) but I can say I have been fairly happy for the last week. I have it set at 875, I can start it cold and take off. Idle comes down nice and slow, doesn't undershoot. Once it is up to 195F on the water temp, I do get a little bit of undershooting. I did notice my STIT are a little off still so I am going to make another adjustment to the RAF table. I fiddled with the timing and had as high as 28 in drive/park tables. Although it did help smooth out the idle and return to idle I got way to much surging so I dropped it back to 23 degrees if I remember correctly.
you might want to export the data if you dont alreayd, into excel and average the numbers for a coolant temp. i average my changes in the trims from 79-81 deg when its hot to make the changes, it will help you see better, i know mine goes all over the place on the stit

Biggest tip I can give for getting your idle right, make sure your IAC is clean.
yeah, any build up on it can cause a lot of headaches, and such a simple fix
Old 08-06-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

step 1 for me would be open the tb screw to get iac counts down.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah thats one i forgot lol thanks