Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok need a tune but how?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Ok need a tune but how?

Basically it will be a 99 Z28 A4 with LT's, catted Y, cat back and a lid. Nothing to major but I want a tune non the less.

However

In the UK there are not many people that deal with the LS1. I've found a dyno shop thats willing to do the tune (looks pretty cool, click here for more info about the dyno ) but they have told me that they don't have anything to remap the PCM with. All they could do is 'chip it'.

What would I need to supply to allow them to tune it properly?

I've had a look at the Hp Tuner software which I guess should do it, or is it just a little OTT for my needs.

The alternative I would assume would be a Diablo Predator hand held device.

They seem to be similar money $400-500. What should I go for?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the www.efilive.com package. If you tuning shop is familiar with tuning EFI cars, this package will make it very simple for them to get you going. After the fact, you will have a top notch tuning software for you to tweak your tune with.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a full tuning package the best options available are HP Tuners and EFI Live. I've used HPT since it came out and have been using their new software for about a month now... I like it

All you would need is the software and a laptop and they should be able to tune the car (if they haven't tuned before then they may need to become familiar w/the software... at which point you may be better off doing it yourself.

Predator can't do as much as the full tuning suites, but it is very good for a handheld... the crane/vinci unit is also good ... I don't have personal experience w/either however

Last edited by horist; 08-05-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
if they haven't tuned before then they may need to become familiar w/the software... at which point you may be better off doing it yourself.
Excellent point.

Between the EFILive, HPT, and this forum, you should be able to find all the info you need to get you tuning in no time.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheers.

Well as this thread has been locked and opened again I don't want to cause trouble, so its fine to lock it again.

I think I have my answers. Will be one of the software based programs, quite like the look of HP Tuner, but I'll have a better look later.

Will let the shop probably tune it, I've only ever tuned a nitro RC car so I wouldn't really know what I was doing.

Thanks for the help.