PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction control took a vacation

Old 08-05-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default traction control took a vacation

I think im having some electrical gremlins out of nowhere. ill try to track them one by one. When i start my car, my TCS off light goes on, on the dash....like i pushed the button and it goes off. however, it shouldnt be off when i start the car...and it doesnt go back on when i hit the button. what might be the cause of this? i might be able to click it on for a second on a cold start or something, but then it goes back off. just started happening last week or so.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like the TCS module died. Scan the codes with EFILive or a Tech2.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

where is that located? could that have any bearing on my car surging intermittantly?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DriveATransAm
could that have any bearing on my car surging intermittantly?
Thats most likely the HUGE cam.

I have Autotap if you need it, $300/day rental, $100 deposit. I'll also need to see 3 forms of ID, 6 references, 2 previous pay stubs, and a utility bill before I can begin the authorization process, which can take up to 14 business days.

Let me know, Shawn
Old 08-06-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

where is that located? could that have any bearing on my car surging intermittantly?

I'm not sure on an '01. Mine is near the battery. Follow the throttle cables from the TB back. If you have 1 cable, it will go to the TCS module before going to the firewall. If you have 2 cables, one will go to the fire wall and the other to the TCS module.

Surging: It's possible, but more likely the cam. When/where is it surging?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
I have Autotap if you need it, $300/day rental, $100 deposit. I'll also need to see 3 forms of ID, 6 references, 2 previous pay stubs, and a utility bill before I can begin the authorization process, which can take up to 14 business days.

I like that quote in your sig
Old 08-06-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the offer shawn, but my autotap is permantly attatched to my obd2 port lol.

i fail to see how the cam can cause the surging, it was FINE before last week. i raised the idle up to 1000 via tb screw and it still surged UP from 1000 to 1300 etc. that alone makes me think its not tuning...at 1000 it should be getting plenty of air vs the normal 800-850 it usually is at. it was fine yesterday on the way home from work. started acting up a little on my way to work though <shrug>

i have 2 cables since i have cruise control. from the tb they go to a canister thingie by the battery, then from therer i never really traced them out. ill see if i can find it and maybe see if theres and resistance or anything going through the terminals.

they both happened at the same time... so hopefully they are related. perhaps the module is causing too much of a drain on the car (battery/alt?) and its screwing with the voltage all over the place? the alternator needle does dance a little. quite a bit more than ive seen before. battery is always fully charged when i start the car...and i can restart the car several times after shutting it off without a problem. that makes me think its not the alternator or battery. radio was acting goofy too. it was showing all kinds of random things on the display. usually it just has numbers missing...this time it was showing all kinds of goofy display things like rndm kept flicking on it, cd, fm, etc etc. i think its an electrical bug somewhere. gotta find out where.

Last edited by DriveATransAm; 08-06-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

i fail to see how the cam can cause the surging, it was FINE before last week.
Good to know these things. And yes you are right, If i was fine until the TCS light came on, then it's probably not the cam.

i raised the idle up to 1000 via tb screw and it still surged UP from 1000 to 1300 etc. that alone makes me think its not tuning...at 1000 it should be getting plenty of air vs the normal 800-850 it usually is at. it was fine yesterday on the way home from work. started acting up a little on my way to work though <shrug>
Your idle speed is set in the PCM. Changine the set screw will effect the idle temporarily. However, the PCM will learn, or at least try to learn, how to idle at the programed set speed.

As I mentioned above, you should scan the codes with EFILive or a Tech2. Eventhough the SES light is not on, Live and Tech can scan the codes related to the other onboard modules.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the reply. ill have to find someone with a tech2 or efilive. the point of raising the idle (temporarly) was to see if the car was truely infact not getting enough air. this proved to not be the case.

Search this Thread