Default ?? Lean, to Rich ?? someone explain

I'm not sure what the difference is ...
how to tell.....
and how to correct.....

anyone care to explain
Old 08-06-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well a "perfect" air/fuel ratio would be 14.7:1 which means 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel by mass. In a perfect world this ratio could burn and produce perfect combustion.

lean is more air per part of fuel - ratios like 15:1 or 17:1

rich is less air - ratios like 13:1 and 12:1

What Air/Fuel ratio you want to target changes as you drive. Cruising on the highway with no load on the engine you want lean to conserve fuel. Wide Open Throttle you want to have rich (around 13:1 for our cars, some say even a little richer) for best safe power.

Your car uses its 02 sensors to detect rich or lean conditions. If you bring your car to get "tuned" they will probably use a wideband 02 sensor - a sensor that can read a wider range of A/F ratios than the stock one in your car.

Books have been written on this so my explination simplifys things a bit.

google=friend
Old 08-06-2005, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you grimes... 1 last question.. how is this measured? I'm assuming threw the Diagnostic port?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure, no problem

well if you want to see what your computer is seeing you can get software on a laptop, and like you said plug into the diagnostic port.

software examples are:

ls1edit
hp tuners
efi live
Old 08-06-2005, 11:29 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Default Rich after header install

Hi

I have a few questions. I just completed a header install and my 98 Camaro and it is running fine (lots of power). It does miss occassionaly. I have been told it is most likely running a little rich after the header install.

If I want to know what the a/f ration is, then I assume I need to install a wide band sensor and temporary a/f gauge and then drive around for a while and monitor the gauge? Is there an easier way to do it?

Also having a 98 means there is limited tuners available. I have been told the Hypertech will not help and all the units that have adjustable fuel curves are for 1999 and up. Ramchargers has a MAF Translator to adjust fuel curves, and I was woundering if anyone has any experience with it?

Also, is runing a little rich going to cause any problems like fowlled plugs, burnt cats, etc?

Thanks JA
Old 08-06-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

White - the o2 sensors your car uses are hardwired to the PCM. If you want to monitor the sensors, then you need a software like Autotap to monitor. The ones Grimes mentioned are scan and tune packages. You can find ton's more information on this in the PCM/Tuning section.

JGA - At the moment, HPT and LS1Edit are your best options for tuning a '98. Personally, I'd stay away from LS1Edit. EFILive should have support for the '98's in the not so distant future.

I wouldn't waste money on trick tuning devices. things like a MAFT were a temporary solution to full on tuning packages.

Running a little rich will have it's effects on the plugs and cats. More than likely, you are only going to realize it at the pump.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:27 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks

JA

Search this Thread