PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tuner Questions

Old 08-12-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tuner Questions

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole tuning thing and have some really basic questions. I'm using HP Tuners.

1. I've started to work on my VE table and read the faq's. It mentions copying the high octane table to the low when tuning your LTFT's without the maf. When you're done and reconnect the maf do you put the low table back to normal?

2. Do you tune both the Primary and Secondary VE tables? What values do you use for the Secondary?

3. I've noticed alot of people use spreadsheets for the VE calcs. Can't you just copy the histograms directly to the VE table or is this too radical of a change?

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have more questions to follow...
Old 08-12-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'm new too this also, but I can help you with a few of these questions as it has taken me quite a bit of research to find answers for all.

1. you want to copy high octane table into low octane, since in SD(speed density=no MAF) mode, the computer will go to this table automatically. When you are finished if you want to use the MAF you can reconnect it, but it has to be calibrated first(haven't gotten this far so I'm not sure about the procedure)

2. If you plan on going back to the MAF, then yes you should tune both tables. While in SD mode you will be using the Secondary VE table to tune the car, since this is what the PCM will be looking at. The values come from your histogram.

3. If you look at the Secondary VE table, you'll notice that the MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) is in increments of 10KPa, where in the histogram and the Primary VE table have increments of 5KPa. If you attempt to directly paste your histogram values directly into the Secondary table, the values will not line up properly, causing you tune to not be completely accurate. This is where the excel spreadsheet comes in. I have asked a fellow member on the board to send me his, since my excel skills are a little off. If I don't get it though I will make one and send it to you, or someone may beat me to it.

Other things you should know:
4. Reset your fuel trims in the scanner everytime you load a new .bin file
5. Drive around 50-100 miles so that the LTFT can be fully learned.
6. If you haven't yet, read the tuning documents in the stickies. They can help
Old 08-12-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

waht tuning software are yall using?? if you have HPTuners search for the SD tune write up that is up here or on HPTuners.com

If you have EFI LIVE they just recently finished a SD write up at their website. www.efilive.com/forum I"m going off of that once I get my wideband. I have already read through it and it tells everything.

Search this Thread