Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone use Tuner Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone use Tuner Cat?

I am just curious at the lack of interest in Tuner Cat OBD2 discussion in this forum.

I have been using it with great results for some time in my shop now and for the price can't understand why more people aren't discussing? The price is cheap and the access to variable peramiters is quite good.

I also use Edit and HP so I know what it is missing, but I also know what it has to offer. Very easy to understand tables, and what is needed to tune 98 percent of the cars out there.

Am I missing something?

Martin
Old 08-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Probably becuase tunercat is know for his OBDI stuff. The OBDII market already has software to work with it. I think he's coming into the game a little late. There's more talk over on cz28.com now and then.

Also heard some people were having issues of screwing up their pcm's during a flash.

Tails
Old 08-18-2005, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also from what i understand it doesnt come with a scanner, whereas hptuners, efilive & even ls1 edit come with scanners...hptuners & efilive also give the user the option of hooking up a w/b to the scanner. Personally I downloaded the tunercat demo & wasnt impressed with the format either.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Teching In

I'm curious about this as well. It looks like a great value compared to other packages, but I never see any real feedback on the program. I just received an e-mail reply from Tunercat that their 97-98 LS1 F-Body/Corvette package is scheduled to be released in 2 weeks. I'm thinking it would be a great alternative to a handheld tuner, but would still give you room to grow...providing the product works as it should. I already have ATAP so the scanner part is covered.

Any other comments?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFILive and HP Tuners offer pretty decent credits for autotap

I downloaded the software today.... and was NOT impressed.....

go to file: (install software... open it... go to the "file" option)

see:

D:\Program files\microsoft visual studi\VB98\Projects\tuner\current\test.bin
D:\Program files\microsoft visual studi\VB98\Projects\tuner\current\95ss
C:\winnt\profiles\howie\desktop\stock 6-14-04 01.bin
J:\GM\GM_TRUCK\$0D\$0D_L05\BDWM\Bdwm.bin
J:\tempwork\8FA-STOCK.bin

... a release software (at least something that the company says to download and license later) shouldn't have developer/tester TEST data.....

i was hopin the recent files were "example" files... but seems that the coder missed the path...... and the default "last opened files" are the coders last opened .....

combined w/the screen shots I've seen (going to tunercat.com is stupid.... the site sux ... i tried to find LS1 support and failed... but I probably missed something)

the lack of INTEGRATED scanning (standalone scanning and "integrated" scanning are different)

Personally.. I'd recoomend LS1 Edit before TunerCat for GenIII V8 cars ..... and that's not saying much....

Fact is right now... HP Tunres and EFI Live are the only 2 serious contendors..... tunercat may be great for pre 98s .. but new technology (LS1s) have better technology (HP Tuners and EFI Live) available...

Last edited by horist; 08-19-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Teching In

I still use the higher end software for trickier combos but I have dialed in quite a few vettes, trucks, and f-bodies that are charged/bolt on's with out wishing I had anything but a built in scanner.

I guess it is just another package to throw in the pile with the rest and let the user decide. Also just like everyone elses stuff, it takes time to develop the product. Let's not forget how hurtin the original edit was in it's day. And HP while it is ahead of all is still constantly improving and I would expect the same from TC.

Martin
Old 08-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Teching In

thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like there are better options out there. But like Blown Yellow said, I'm sure these programs are always evolving and getting better. Just not sure if I want to be a guinea pig for tuning software since I'm a relative n00b on the subject.

Maybe I'll look into the whole credit thing for my ATAP. It's an older version and definitely not the best, but it does the job for what I use it for. I just wish it had some bi-directional capabilities as well.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the TC package, and so far it's handled everything I've needed to do just fine. I'm just doing standard stuff (injector scaling, adjusting timing and ve tables, turning codes off), and I know there are some more obscure tables/variables missing. Since I already had Autotap, plus my own home-made scanning capability, I had that part covered. The whole TC experience is like it's in beta testing and not a released product - for example they don't advertise it at all, you have to contact TC to find out about it, and support is pretty non-existent (although there's been one update since I got it that did fix bugs I'd emailed them about). One reason I waited for TC is because I decided I was never going to buy hptuners due to the way they initially started their business, with their forum that had people working on trying to crack the GM code thinking they were working on some kind of group freeware project, then suddenly the info shuts off and they're charging $500...
Old 08-20-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

You know you can't say that on here Pat! Only positive comments are allowed about HP.

Now Mike is going to have to get his lock out.

Originally Posted by patSS/00
I got the TC package, and so far it's handled everything I've needed to do just fine. I'm just doing standard stuff (injector scaling, adjusting timing and ve tables, turning codes off), and I know there are some more obscure tables/variables missing. Since I already had Autotap, plus my own home-made scanning capability, I had that part covered. The whole TC experience is like it's in beta testing and not a released product - for example they don't advertise it at all, you have to contact TC to find out about it, and support is pretty non-existent (although there's been one update since I got it that did fix bugs I'd emailed them about). One reason I waited for TC is because I decided I was never going to buy hptuners due to the way they initially started their business, with their forum that had people working on trying to crack the GM code thinking they were working on some kind of group freeware project, then suddenly the info shuts off and they're charging $500...
Old 08-20-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DynoDR
Now Mike is going to have to get his lock out.
if they're turning into flamefests (or useless bickering that is way off topic) then they get locked... that last one you don't know the entire story ... there was a mistake made there

Now I'm going to have to ban you (j/k )
Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Well I too use TC for my OBD-II T/A, and I can't complain. I've played with my friend's newer version of Edit, and yea I like it, but personally I guess I just prefered using TC because I'd been playing around with it longer. Granted, my car is fairly simple at the moment, but I don't see any problems with it's functionality at the moment, I do however miss not having a scanner program for real-time data.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Teching In

I use tc and for the price you can't beat it.I have been able to do anything
I need to with it.

Hey Pat there is a new update to the flasher this week.
Flasher version=1.80
tuner version=1.23
these are the latest updates

Quick Reply: Does anyone use Tuner Cat?