PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random misfire...code 300 and still needing help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random misfire...code 300 and still needing help!

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what i shoudl focus on in attempting to figure out my misfire issue. The motor seems to misfire after the first minute of running on. The only time it doesnt misfire is at WOT. I pulled the codes and came up with several codes, of which one was a code 300 and the others were emissions related as i havent tuned my PCM to reflect that i had eliminated the emissions control devices (EVAP, EGR, after cat O2s, etc). I have checked and replaced the plugs and wires. I will check the springs this weekend but what other areas should i check out when focusing on eliminating the misfire? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

have you recently changed the cam, oil pump, replaced the pcm, or done any work to the bottom end? If so, you probably just need to do a CASE relearn. EFILive, HPT, and a Tech2 and do this.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Is Tech2 a cost effeictive software for case relearn? What does it cost?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

i have changed out the cam and oil pump...so that just might be the ticket. I'll try it out. Thanks for the help
Old 08-18-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Robert - Tech2 will cost you an arm, leg, first born, and 6 pints of blood. Tech2 is what the dealerships uses to access the PCM. It's a cool device, but not the most cost effecient if you are not making a living using it. You need to look at www.efilive.com or www.hptuners.com. Both EFILive and HPT can do the CASE relearn. If those software's are not in your budget, you should hit your regional forum and see if anyone with EFILive or HPT can do this for you.

Adlashwa - I think you're problem may be solved. Just as a side note, if your cam has a lot of overlap, the CASE relearn won't necessarily cure the misfire code - nature of the beast. After I installed my motor, I had misfires like crazy (viewed with EFILive). I did the case relearn and the misfire counts went way down, but were still high enough to throw a code. I had to modify the tune to ignore misfires at low RPM.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the CASE relearn exactly?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Crank Angle Sensor E(i can't remember off the top of my head).

There is a reluctor ring on the Crank that is read by the PCM to know the crank position. The relearn procedure (activate the relearn, rev up to ~4-4800 RPM, let off when the fuel cuts off, turn car off for 15 seconds) allows the PCM to remap the crank.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that all, or is there more to it? any detailed instructions on it? or just get on YIM and we'll talk
Old 08-18-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

RHS - should be on YIM in a few hours. CASE relearn is a very easy thing to do if you have the software to initiate it.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

From the HPTuners Help File:

CASE Learn: To use the CASE learn function please follow these steps:
Put the vehicle into park (auto) or neutral (manual).
Turn off all accessories and A/C.
Apply the parking brake.
Press the brake pedal. Keep the brake pedal depressed during the entire procedure.
Press Begin.
Gradually rev the vehicle to fuel cutoff (around 4000-5000 RPM's) over a period of about 4 seconds. When fuel cuts out, immediately release the throttle.
Allow the engine to come back to an idle.
Turn the ignition off for at least 15 seconds. This step is required for the VCM to store the newly learned configuration
Old 09-29-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

I recently had similar PO300 issues. I replaced the plugs and wires with no help. Since your motor is stumbling, I would consider changing the cam sensor and crank shaft sensors since it may be having diffuculty finding TDC.

The cam sensor is in back of the manifold near the firewall and the crank sensor is above the starter motor.

After I changed both, the car ran great.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

I thought it was normal to get the p0300 random misfire codes with an aftermarket cam???
I got them about every other day after my cam install, yet the car ran perfectly. Si I just disabled that code from throwing an SES light.

Also, when do you need to do a CASE relearn, is that anytime you have the engine apart, such as cam install ??
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm not a case-learn expert but I thought it is done after you mess with the crank shaft/crank sensor relationship (e.g, rebuilding/replacing the crank with its stationary reluctor, changing the motor, or changing the crank sensor.)

It is not needed for cam sensor changing I think.