PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine codes? Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine codes? Help Please!

I've got a couple of questions for you tech guys.

I have 3 codes from my check engine light.
PO171 System too lean
PO174 System too lean
PO430 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold

Any ideas what's wrong? I assumed something with the O2 sensors or the cats, but I don't know exactly what it might be.

Also

I have 2000 WS6 with a whisper lid, TB bypass, IAT timer, ported MAF, KN filter, smooth bellow, ravin exhausts.

I was wanting to put on edelbrock shorty headers with the slp y pipe, remove cats, 85 MAF, and Hypertech programmer.

Would this be a good investment to gain some horsepower? Does anyone have close to the same setup and how much power do you get at the wheels?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

take a look in the tuning section. there is a sticky that will give you a little better description of the codes. once you determine what bank is throwing the codes, you can replace the respective O2 sensors.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mtb989s
I was wanting to put on edelbrock shorty headers with the slp y pipe, remove cats, 85 MAF, and Hypertech programmer.

Would this be a good investment to gain some horsepower? Does anyone have close to the same setup and how much power do you get at the wheels?

Thanks

If you going to invest into headers, you might try looking for a deal on LT's instead of shorty's. It's roughly the same amount of work to install the headers, and the LT's will yeild much better gains.

I wouldn't mess with the MAF. The MAF is a delicate instrument and not the eaisiest thing to tune. Your stock MAF will be more than adequet for the mods you are planning.

As far as the Hypetech - they are not totally useless, but you would be better off saving up a few more bucks and buying a full blown tuning software such as EFILive/Flashscan (more info: in the tuning section and www.efilive.com).